Two crashes on I-80 leave one dead, one in police custody
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah drivers on I-80 were met with considerable delays Wednesday night as lanes were blocked by two accidents that happened within minutes of each other but were 50 miles apart.
A 26-year-old man was killed when the truck and trailer he was driving westbound on I-80 rolled near milepost 53 in Tooele County, about 20 miles west of the junction with state Route 196. The man was not wearing a seat belt and was ejected from the vehicle, Utah Highway Patrol Cpl. Todd Johnson said.
The man was identified Thursday as Christopher Fainsbury, of Rockland, Calif.
Officers on scene said a 3-year-old girl was also in the vehicle. The child was riding in a car seat but was taken by medical helicopter to a Salt Lake City hospital.
Johnson said the girl's injuries were limited to some abrasions. UHP had not determined whether Fainsbury was related to the child.
A second car swerved off the road and rolled, attempting to avoid the truck, officers said. The driver was not injured.
The accident occurred at 5:36 p.m., according to the Utah Department of Public Safety.
Another accident was reported at milepost 106 near Saltair at 5:33 p.m. One man was arrested for investigation of driving under the influence after traveling the wrong way on eastbound I-80. The wrong-way driver forced two female drivers to swerve and cross over into westbound traffic, police said.
One woman trying to avoid the man sustained injuries that were not life-threatening when the Chevrolet Tahoe she was driving rolled across the median. Another woman in a pickup truck struck a semitrailer in westbound traffic but was not hurt, police said.
The wrong-way driver's name was not released Wednesday night.
- Feds: Utah companies accused of conducting...
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he...
- Police identify body found on Ben Lomond...
- 107 years of Grace: Cedar City resident still...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- Census: Utah has youngest newlyweds, high...
- Families of 3 missing persons ask for...
- New barriers, other security measures to...
- 200 gather at Utah Capitol in support... 47
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he... 31
- Carson tops new poll of Utah voters 30
- U. professor, students call on SCOTUS... 29
- Anatomy of a trip: The Utah-Switzerland... 23
- Feds: Utah companies accused of... 20
- Census: Utah has youngest newlyweds,... 16
- Man fighting for custody of daughter... 15