Two crashes on I-80 leave one dead, one in police custody
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah drivers on I-80 were met with considerable delays Wednesday night as lanes were blocked by two accidents that happened within minutes of each other but were 50 miles apart.
A 26-year-old man was killed when the truck and trailer he was driving westbound on I-80 rolled near milepost 53 in Tooele County, about 20 miles west of the junction with state Route 196. The man was not wearing a seat belt and was ejected from the vehicle, Utah Highway Patrol Cpl. Todd Johnson said.
The man was identified Thursday as Christopher Fainsbury, of Rockland, Calif.
Officers on scene said a 3-year-old girl was also in the vehicle. The child was riding in a car seat but was taken by medical helicopter to a Salt Lake City hospital.
Johnson said the girl's injuries were limited to some abrasions. UHP had not determined whether Fainsbury was related to the child.
A second car swerved off the road and rolled, attempting to avoid the truck, officers said. The driver was not injured.
The accident occurred at 5:36 p.m., according to the Utah Department of Public Safety.
Another accident was reported at milepost 106 near Saltair at 5:33 p.m. One man was arrested for investigation of driving under the influence after traveling the wrong way on eastbound I-80. The wrong-way driver forced two female drivers to swerve and cross over into westbound traffic, police said.
One woman trying to avoid the man sustained injuries that were not life-threatening when the Chevrolet Tahoe she was driving rolled across the median. Another woman in a pickup truck struck a semitrailer in westbound traffic but was not hurt, police said.
The wrong-way driver's name was not released Wednesday night.
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- Tanker crash sends oil into Provo River as...
- Olene Walker, "one of Utah's finest public...
- Report: Utah home to 'most impressive'...
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving preparing...
- Traditions old and new celebrated as Temple...
- Local cowboys: A new foursome for the...
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he... 36
- Feds: Utah companies accused of... 26
- Man steals woman's boarding pass,... 13
- Olene Walker, "one of Utah's finest... 12
- The new Thanksgiving tradition: A quick... 11
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving... 10
- Utah liquor consumption is up, but... 8
- New barriers, other security measures... 5