Two crashes on I-80 leave one dead, one in police custody
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah drivers on I-80 were met with considerable delays Wednesday night as lanes were blocked by two accidents that happened within minutes of each other but were 50 miles apart.
A 26-year-old man was killed when the truck and trailer he was driving westbound on I-80 rolled near milepost 53 in Tooele County, about 20 miles west of the junction with state Route 196. The man was not wearing a seat belt and was ejected from the vehicle, Utah Highway Patrol Cpl. Todd Johnson said.
The man was identified Thursday as Christopher Fainsbury, of Rockland, Calif.
Officers on scene said a 3-year-old girl was also in the vehicle. The child was riding in a car seat but was taken by medical helicopter to a Salt Lake City hospital.
Johnson said the girl's injuries were limited to some abrasions. UHP had not determined whether Fainsbury was related to the child.
A second car swerved off the road and rolled, attempting to avoid the truck, officers said. The driver was not injured.
The accident occurred at 5:36 p.m., according to the Utah Department of Public Safety.
Another accident was reported at milepost 106 near Saltair at 5:33 p.m. One man was arrested for investigation of driving under the influence after traveling the wrong way on eastbound I-80. The wrong-way driver forced two female drivers to swerve and cross over into westbound traffic, police said.
One woman trying to avoid the man sustained injuries that were not life-threatening when the Chevrolet Tahoe she was driving rolled across the median. Another woman in a pickup truck struck a semitrailer in westbound traffic but was not hurt, police said.
The wrong-way driver's name was not released Wednesday night.
- LDS Church names Elder Clayton new senior...
- Boston-bound airline pilot from West Jordan...
- Judge dismisses negligence lawsuit filed by...
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason polygamy...
- New Salt Lake County ordinance mandates pet...
- Farr West woman found dead in home, foul play...
- BYU student injured in bounce house accident...
- SUU flight instructors die in plane crash...
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 55
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 40
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 33
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason... 29
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 24
- LDS Church leaders continue to... 16
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be... 15
- State says it will fund Planned... 14