“Being Clara is a memory that will last a lifetime, of that I can promise you,” said Nancy McFall, 72, who danced as Ballet West’s first Clara in 1955.
For McFall, it’s hard to believe that more than 50 years have passed since she danced with the shoestring-budget production directed by Willam Christensen.
“Mr. C,” as he was affectionately called, brought his production — a joint choreographic effort with his brother, Lew — from San Francisco Ballet to the newly formed University Theater Ballet in Salt Lake City. McFall, a member of the troupe, was chosen by Mr. C to be his first Clara when she was 15.
“I did it for six years,” she said. “It felt like my part. I love that role and I love the memories. Nothing compares to getting on a stage and making an audience happy.”
University Ballet Theater became Utah Civic Ballet and finally Ballet West. The production, which almost flopped due to low attendance the first year, slowly gained steam and now holds more than 30 performances each holiday season to huge crowds and national esteem.
McFall has had a front-row seat for the explosion of what was once a tiny ballet production of a less-familiar holiday tale. Now in her 12th year as a volunteer usher at the Capitol Theatre, she helps out because she still loves the theater — and “The Nutcracker.”
“It’s my way of holding on to the memory," she said. "I love watching it year after year.”
To Claras present from a Clara past, McFall offers this advice:
“Stay sweet, kind and let your personality come out on stage, it’s what makes it magical for the audience.”
If you go
What: Ballet West’s “The Nutcracker”
When: Nov. 30-Dec. 28
Where: Capitol Theatre, 50 West 200 South, Salt Lake City
How much/ticket info: Prices range from $19 to $75 and are available for purchase through ArtTix by calling (801) 355-ARTS or at www.arttix.org
Visit www.balletwest.org for more info.
- Paintbrushes, fairy tales and chore charts:...
- Vikings place Adrian Peterson on exempt list,...
- Erin Stewart: How to survive your...
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies inspired...
- Millennials read more books than their...
- Two big reasons to buy comic books for your kids
- The changing definition of 'TV': What parents...
- 'The Addams Family' has clever Utah Valley...
- The changing definition of 'TV': What... 16
- Gamers use police hoax to lash out at... 5
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies... 5
- Millennials read more books than their... 3
- Vikings place Adrian Peterson on exempt... 3
- The complicated relationship between... 3
- Vikings reinstate Peterson despite... 2
- Miss New York chosen as Miss America 2015 1