Youth football: 9-year-old Utah girl Samantha Gordon featured on Wheaties box
HERRIMAN — Nine-year-old youth football star Samantha Gordon can add another accolade to her collection: a special-edition Wheaties box.
An ESPN report states that General Mills is creating a one-of-a-kind box featuring Gordon in honor of her achievements this season, as she ran for more than 2,000 yards and 35 touchdowns while playing in a league where she is the only girl. The box won't be sold in stores.
From the ESPN report:
"I think it's really great," Gordon told "SportsCenter" when asked how it felt to be on a Wheaties box. "My mom, she told me that this is a real athletic breakfast and that only real athletes get on it and that Michael Jordan was on it for a long time. So I'm really proud to be on the Wheaties box."
Gordon became an Internet sensation when a highlight video featuring her play went viral. She has since appeared on "Good Morning America," "Fox and Friends," and was the special guest of the San Francisco 49ers during their Monday Night Football matchup on Nov. 19.
Gordon's interest in football was sparked by former BYU running back Luke Staley. She wears No. 6 on her jersey — Staley's number — in his honor.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: TheShums
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 80
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 62
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 40
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 34