Youth football: 9-year-old Utah girl Samantha Gordon featured on Wheaties box
HERRIMAN — Nine-year-old youth football star Samantha Gordon can add another accolade to her collection: a special-edition Wheaties box.
An ESPN report states that General Mills is creating a one-of-a-kind box featuring Gordon in honor of her achievements this season, as she ran for more than 2,000 yards and 35 touchdowns while playing in a league where she is the only girl. The box won't be sold in stores.
From the ESPN report:
"I think it's really great," Gordon told "SportsCenter" when asked how it felt to be on a Wheaties box. "My mom, she told me that this is a real athletic breakfast and that only real athletes get on it and that Michael Jordan was on it for a long time. So I'm really proud to be on the Wheaties box."
Gordon became an Internet sensation when a highlight video featuring her play went viral. She has since appeared on "Good Morning America," "Fox and Friends," and was the special guest of the San Francisco 49ers during their Monday Night Football matchup on Nov. 19.
Gordon's interest in football was sparked by former BYU running back Luke Staley. She wears No. 6 on her jersey — Staley's number — in his honor.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: TheShums
- Hayward looking like Captain America early in...
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon features BYU,...
- Ansah, Wagner or Weddle: Which local had the...
- What you may have missed: UConn fan's pleas...
- BYU's defense, among nation's leaders in...
- Gary Crowton resigns as SUU offensive...
- ESPN's Brett McMurphy: 'I actually should...
- Home hasn't been so sweet in Pac-12 play
- College football: Utes climb to No. 5... 56
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 44
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 38
- ESPN's College GameDay is coming to... 34
- After win, BYU looking to improve, get... 26
- BYU overcomes mistakes, downs UConn,... 23
- Dick Harmon: Mangum uses chunk yardage... 22
- Morning links: Kyle Whittingham 'doing... 20