Youth football: 9-year-old Utah girl Samantha Gordon featured on Wheaties box
HERRIMAN — Nine-year-old youth football star Samantha Gordon can add another accolade to her collection: a special-edition Wheaties box.
An ESPN report states that General Mills is creating a one-of-a-kind box featuring Gordon in honor of her achievements this season, as she ran for more than 2,000 yards and 35 touchdowns while playing in a league where she is the only girl. The box won't be sold in stores.
From the ESPN report:
"I think it's really great," Gordon told "SportsCenter" when asked how it felt to be on a Wheaties box. "My mom, she told me that this is a real athletic breakfast and that only real athletes get on it and that Michael Jordan was on it for a long time. So I'm really proud to be on the Wheaties box."
Gordon became an Internet sensation when a highlight video featuring her play went viral. She has since appeared on "Good Morning America," "Fox and Friends," and was the special guest of the San Francisco 49ers during their Monday Night Football matchup on Nov. 19.
Gordon's interest in football was sparked by former BYU running back Luke Staley. She wears No. 6 on her jersey — Staley's number — in his honor.
Email: email@example.com; Twitter: TheShums
- High school football: Top 25 preseason rankings
- ACC media days has some interesting tidbits...
- Some fringe Jazz players opened eyes in Vegas
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to expand,...
- BYU football: Alani Fua may be next Cougar...
- Brain injury changes the lives and tests the...
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is an...
- Former BYU defensive lineman Eathyn...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 167
- Report: Former BYU guard Jimmer... 73
- BYU freshman linebacker reportedly... 72
- BYU's Jamaal Williams, Utah State's Joe... 58
- Peavler: Arizona vice president of... 52
- ACC media days has some interesting... 35
- Brad Rock: Decades later, equality... 30
- Watch list roundup: 22 local players... 26