Devotional featuring Jabari Parker and his family has been canceled
M. Spencer Green, ASSOCIATED PRESS
An LDS devotional featuring high school basketball phenom Jabari Parker and his family this weekend has been canceled.
Christian Parker, Jabari's older brother, said the family decided to call off the event to avoid possible NCAA rules violations during his official recruiting visit to BYU. He added that the family was very disappointed because they had looked forward to reuniting with friends and family in the Polynesian and African-American communities of the Salt Lake Valley.
"Certain potential violations were brought to our attention and there was no way around it," Christian Parker said Wednesday. "As a family we wanted to avoid any complications that might jeopardize Jabari's college eligibility."
Jabari Parker is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The devotional was originally scheduled to take place at the Salt Lake University LDS Institute of Religion, adjacent to the University of Utah, on the evening of Sunday, Nov. 25.
Jabari Parker is a senior at Simeon High School in Chicago. He is among the top recruits in the nation and is considering scholarship offers from Duke, Michigan State, Florida, Stanford and BYU.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: tbtoone
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- 19 inspiring Christmas quotes from President...
- LDS Church to create new missions in Utah and...
- 'Unbroken' faith: The religious journey of...
- 'American Idol' alum Brooke White creates...
- Christmas without Jesus
- Students' moving video on the Christmas truce...
- How would LDS be affected by renewed US-Cuba...
- Defending the Faith: A modern witness... 43
- How would LDS be affected by renewed... 27
- LDS Church to create new missions in... 20
- Christmas without Jesus 19
- Chris Hicks: Has Hollywood found new... 16
- Forget Santa Claus, Virginia. Was there... 14
- Visiting minister urges unity among... 10
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary... 9