Devotional featuring Jabari Parker and his family has been canceled
M. Spencer Green, ASSOCIATED PRESS
An LDS devotional featuring high school basketball phenom Jabari Parker and his family this weekend has been canceled.
Christian Parker, Jabari's older brother, said the family decided to call off the event to avoid possible NCAA rules violations during his official recruiting visit to BYU. He added that the family was very disappointed because they had looked forward to reuniting with friends and family in the Polynesian and African-American communities of the Salt Lake Valley.
"Certain potential violations were brought to our attention and there was no way around it," Christian Parker said Wednesday. "As a family we wanted to avoid any complications that might jeopardize Jabari's college eligibility."
Jabari Parker is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The devotional was originally scheduled to take place at the Salt Lake University LDS Institute of Religion, adjacent to the University of Utah, on the evening of Sunday, Nov. 25.
Jabari Parker is a senior at Simeon High School in Chicago. He is among the top recruits in the nation and is considering scholarship offers from Duke, Michigan State, Florida, Stanford and BYU.
Email: email@example.com Twitter: tbtoone
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- An LDS missionary and a Marine: Twin brothers...
- LDS Church releases video, topic page...
- 'Meet the Mormons' box office continues to...
- LDS husband and father is also a firefighter...
- Defending the Faith: When the criticisms of...
- LDS CIO helps LDSTech attendees better...
- Mormon Media scholars discuss church and...
- Defending the Faith: When the... 139
- Can public officials refuse to perform... 68
- 'Meet the Mormons' box office continues... 46
- LDS CIO helps LDSTech attendees better... 26
- LDS Church releases video, topic page... 19
- Why I stand with the Houston Five 18
- Vatican alters draft report translation... 16
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 16