Devotional featuring Jabari Parker and his family has been canceled
M. Spencer Green, ASSOCIATED PRESS
An LDS devotional featuring high school basketball phenom Jabari Parker and his family this weekend has been canceled.
Christian Parker, Jabari's older brother, said the family decided to call off the event to avoid possible NCAA rules violations during his official recruiting visit to BYU. He added that the family was very disappointed because they had looked forward to reuniting with friends and family in the Polynesian and African-American communities of the Salt Lake Valley.
"Certain potential violations were brought to our attention and there was no way around it," Christian Parker said Wednesday. "As a family we wanted to avoid any complications that might jeopardize Jabari's college eligibility."
Jabari Parker is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The devotional was originally scheduled to take place at the Salt Lake University LDS Institute of Religion, adjacent to the University of Utah, on the evening of Sunday, Nov. 25.
Jabari Parker is a senior at Simeon High School in Chicago. He is among the top recruits in the nation and is considering scholarship offers from Duke, Michigan State, Florida, Stanford and BYU.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: tbtoone
- This is even more evidence that Jesus may...
- Want to improve your marriage? Get a hobby,...
- Helping people deal with criticisms against...
- Mormon Channel releases gritty videos of real...
- How serving an LDS mission prepared me for...
- Defending the Faith: Parallels between Lehite...
- 8 interesting facts about the Toronto Ontario...
- LDS Church will continue Boy Scout program
- LDS Church will continue Boy Scout program 256
- Marching band not allowed to perform... 105
- Defending the Faith: Parallels between... 44
- LDS Church releases statement after... 28
- Mormon woman will be first female West... 16
- This is even more evidence that Jesus... 12
- Is there too much faith in college... 12
- Want to improve your marriage? Get a... 9