SALT LAKE CITY — Two men face a handful of felony charges after police say they used a machete to attack and rob two men in Midvale.
Johnny Michael Buist, 38, and Kueni Ofa Faamausili, 25, are charged with aggravated burglary and two counts of aggravated robbery, first-degree felonies; attempted aggravated kidnapping and theft by receiving stolen property, second-degree felonies.
Buist and Faamausili approached a man standing in front of a home near 763 W. Depot Street in Midvale on Nov. 13 and forced him inside the residence, along with the man who lives there, according to charges filed Tuesday in 3rd District Court.
Upon entering the home Faamausili began threatening the men with a machete he found inside, charges state. Faamausili was reported to have a pistol tucked into his pants while Buist brandished a knife.
When the homeowner refused to surrender his car keys and wallet, Faamausili began striking him with the flat side of the machete while Buist punched him repeatedly in the face, the charges state. When Faamausili allegedly threatened to kill both men, the second man handed over his wallet, two celphones, and the keys to a 1999 Land Rover.
Buist then proceeded to take a laptop, speakers and power tools from the residence while Faamausili continued to threaten the men with the machete, according to the charges.
Buist and Faamausili are also accused of attempting to force the owner of the Land Rover into his vehicle as they left with it, but he managed to flee on foot.
Police say the Land Rover was located at an apartment complex later the same day and Buist was found inside one of the apartments, while Faamausili was located in a vehicle parked at a motel. He had a drug pipe with him at the time of his arrest.
Both men were booked into Salt Lake County Jail with bail set at $250,000.
Buist was also charged with possession of a dangerous weapon by a restricted person, a third degree felony, and Faamausili was also charged with possession of drug paraphernalia, a class B misdemeanor.
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing you...
- Supervolcano hidden in plain sight in Utah...
- Utah husband wins 'Most Memorable Moment'...
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- Pay increase for Gov. Herbert, other elected...
- The Grand America and the Flower Patch: Once...
- National Weather Service radar mistakes swans...
- Nurse threatened to kill patient after...
- Pay increase for Gov. Herbert, other... 66
- Legal analysis supports Utah's law on... 36
- Do Utah high school students need four... 26
- Supervolcano hidden in plain sight in... 19
- Rare snowstorm traps I-15 motorists... 14
- John Swallow lost computer hard drive... 12
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing... 11
- 'Deseret News Sunday Edition' looks at... 10