SALT LAKE CITY — Two men face a handful of felony charges after police say they used a machete to attack and rob two men in Midvale.
Johnny Michael Buist, 38, and Kueni Ofa Faamausili, 25, are charged with aggravated burglary and two counts of aggravated robbery, first-degree felonies; attempted aggravated kidnapping and theft by receiving stolen property, second-degree felonies.
Buist and Faamausili approached a man standing in front of a home near 763 W. Depot Street in Midvale on Nov. 13 and forced him inside the residence, along with the man who lives there, according to charges filed Tuesday in 3rd District Court.
Upon entering the home Faamausili began threatening the men with a machete he found inside, charges state. Faamausili was reported to have a pistol tucked into his pants while Buist brandished a knife.
When the homeowner refused to surrender his car keys and wallet, Faamausili began striking him with the flat side of the machete while Buist punched him repeatedly in the face, the charges state. When Faamausili allegedly threatened to kill both men, the second man handed over his wallet, two celphones, and the keys to a 1999 Land Rover.
Buist then proceeded to take a laptop, speakers and power tools from the residence while Faamausili continued to threaten the men with the machete, according to the charges.
Buist and Faamausili are also accused of attempting to force the owner of the Land Rover into his vehicle as they left with it, but he managed to flee on foot.
Police say the Land Rover was located at an apartment complex later the same day and Buist was found inside one of the apartments, while Faamausili was located in a vehicle parked at a motel. He had a drug pipe with him at the time of his arrest.
Both men were booked into Salt Lake County Jail with bail set at $250,000.
Buist was also charged with possession of a dangerous weapon by a restricted person, a third degree felony, and Faamausili was also charged with possession of drug paraphernalia, a class B misdemeanor.
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over, West...
- S.L. draws up airport plans
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah Scout...
- Warrants issued for 3 suspects in beating...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- XanGo co-founder accuses partners of...
- 'Mantiques' could be a ticket to more cash
- Real Salt Lake: 'No comment' on XanGo...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet,... 66
- Mia Love announces she's officially... 42
- GOP delegates reject changes to... 31
- S.L. draws up airport plans 26
- XanGo co-founder accuses partners of... 22
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over,... 18
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah... 17
- Utah facing $1.2 billion-dollar water... 11