Michelle King: Better preparation for missionaries, on 'Mormon Times TV' this Sunday
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall at the Provo Missionary Training Center when President Thomas S. Monson of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints made his big announcement at the start of the LDS Church’s semiannual general conference this October. He announced a change in age requirements for missionary service — giving young men the option to leave at age 18, and young women the opportunity to go when they turn 19.
Our youngest son was in the Provo MTC at the time and wrote us of the reaction there. He said that, right after President Monson announced the changes, there was a huge initial gasp from every missionary — then cheering. Definitely something out of the ordinary for a conference session.
The announcement has been a hot topic of discussion ever since and, on “Mormon Times TV” this Sunday, you’ll see how it’s contributed to a spike in missionary applications and social media discussion. Brigham Young University missionary preparation instructor and former mission president Brad Wilcox will also be along to help young people better prepare for missionary service, and what parents can do to help and support them.
The decision to even serve a mission can be difficult for athletes eyeing a professional sports career. On the Nov. 25 episode, we’ll spend some time with Tyler Haws, an incredibly successful BYU basketball player. He returned from his mission in better shape than ever — both physically and spiritually. You’ll see why his time in the Philippines meant so much to him, and why he has no regrets.
What’s your favorite Primary song? Songs of our youth stay near and dear to our hearts, but can you narrow it down to just one? LDS Living Magazine readers voted on their favorites — you’ll see which songs came out on top.
Plus, it’s already the Christmas season on Temple Square! The lights go on this week and the holidays officially begin. We’ll show you what’s available there to get you into the spirit of the season every day of the month.
The “Mormon Times TV" television show airs weekly on Sunday mornings at 10 a.m. on KSL-TV/Channel 5 following the Mormon Tabernacle Choir broadcast. It can also be viewed online at mormontimestv.ksl.com , where you can see past episodes. And we invite you to follow us on Facebook at facebook.com/MormonTimesTV and join in the conversation. We’re always looking for inspiring, uplifting stories that involve people of the LDS faith. If you have some ideas you’d like to share with us, drop me an email at email@example.com.
Michelle King is the host of "Mormon Times TV," which airs Sundays at 10 a.m. on KSL. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings 'Happy' medley...
- What life was like for the Mormon pioneers...
- Motherhood Matters: 3 unbelievably simple...
- Dan Jackson calls on family experience to...
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Who were the first 3...
- After government topples crosses in China,...
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest?
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer on trek...
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer... 74
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest? 65
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby... 52
- Observers uncertain about the impact of... 49
- LDS Church to break ground next month... 32
- Defending the Faith: Remembering the... 22
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Who were the... 19
- What life was like for the Mormon... 16