Former USU professor sentenced to jail, probation for lewdness
LOGAN — A former assistant professor of Mathematics Education at Utah State University has been sentenced to jail for lewdness stemming from unlawful sexual conduct with a minor.
Dickey Noto Afiah Ng, 39, was sentenced Monday to 364 days in jail for lewdness, a class B misdemeanor, but all but four days of the sentence were suspended by 1st District Judge Kevin Allen. Ng was also ordered to spend six months on probation, pay a $500 fine and pay for the counseling costs of the victim.
Ng was charged Dec. 14 with unlawful sexual conduct with a 16- or 17-year-old, but the charge was amended in a plea deal to lewdness and reduced from a felony to a misdemeanor. Ng pleaded guilty to the charge Aug. 20.
Police said Ng and an adolescent male were found engaged in inappropriate conduct in a car by an officer on a routine patrol near Green Canyon on Dec. 10. The officer did not arrest Ng at that time because he was not aware that the other male was under the age of 18. When his age was determined, the case was turned over to the Cache County Attorney's Office.
Police said Ng met the teenager over the Internet.
USU became aware of the charges on Jan. 12 and placed Ng on paid administrative leave. Tim Vitale, director of public relations and marketing for the university, said Ng then resigned "right away."
Ng had been at the university since 2009 and worked in the College of Education and Human Services. Court records indicate the man has since found employment outside of Utah.
Ng is to report to jail Friday.
- Community rallies for Kamas family after...
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout Utah
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- West Nile activity discovered in four Utah...
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- Ogden police shoot dog that was allegedly...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising concerns...
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 44
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 21
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 18
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- Union Pacific train makes special... 14
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed... 13
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake... 13
- Unaccompanied children from Central... 12