Former USU professor sentenced to jail, probation for lewdness
LOGAN — A former assistant professor of Mathematics Education at Utah State University has been sentenced to jail for lewdness stemming from unlawful sexual conduct with a minor.
Dickey Noto Afiah Ng, 39, was sentenced Monday to 364 days in jail for lewdness, a class B misdemeanor, but all but four days of the sentence were suspended by 1st District Judge Kevin Allen. Ng was also ordered to spend six months on probation, pay a $500 fine and pay for the counseling costs of the victim.
Ng was charged Dec. 14 with unlawful sexual conduct with a 16- or 17-year-old, but the charge was amended in a plea deal to lewdness and reduced from a felony to a misdemeanor. Ng pleaded guilty to the charge Aug. 20.
Police said Ng and an adolescent male were found engaged in inappropriate conduct in a car by an officer on a routine patrol near Green Canyon on Dec. 10. The officer did not arrest Ng at that time because he was not aware that the other male was under the age of 18. When his age was determined, the case was turned over to the Cache County Attorney's Office.
Police said Ng met the teenager over the Internet.
USU became aware of the charges on Jan. 12 and placed Ng on paid administrative leave. Tim Vitale, director of public relations and marketing for the university, said Ng then resigned "right away."
Ng had been at the university since 2009 and worked in the College of Education and Human Services. Court records indicate the man has since found employment outside of Utah.
Ng is to report to jail Friday.
- John Jones died in a cave, but his widow...
- 'Our lives have been better for having her,'...
- Utah family's adoption of Ethiopian girl...
- Ogden home burglarized while family attends...
- Why Utahns are some of the biggest spenders,...
- Prayers, protests raised in Utah as national...
- Landslide remediation plans emerge amid...
- How do I know if I'm ovulating?
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters... 68
- Prayers, protests raised in Utah as... 34
- Utah to pay plaintiffs in marriage... 33
- 12-year-old girl dies in accidental... 29
- Ogden attorney sues Weber School... 27
- GOP plans to sue over Count My Vote... 23
- LDS Church releases renderings of final... 20
- 'It can happen to anyone': Utah... 20