High school boys basketball: 2A team-by-team region capsules
Coach Comment: “The Wolves are led by seniors Trent Hampton, Dakota (Kody) Shepherd and Colton Robins. Eddy Gonzalez is also a senior in his first year of playing for the Wolves after a successful wrestling tenure. A lot will be placed on these seniors' shoulders as they continue to work to improve our team. Dakota Shepherd lead the Wolves last year averaging 16.4 points per game, 5.2 rpg, and led the state of Utah in assists with 7.2 per game. Dakota was also named Second Team Deseret News All-State last year as a junior. The Wolves hope he continues to lead the team to a successful season. Trent Hampton has continued to improve each day. Last year he averaged 6.2 points per game and is an exceptional defensive player and rebounder. Colton Robins and Eddy Gonzalez will be the big men in the middle. Both continue to improve and should get a lot of good opportunities with Dakota running the point-guard position. Juniors Matt Brutig and Carter Jensen will be very important factors in the starting rotation as both players are shooting the ball exceptionally well and add some added depth to our rotation. Sophomore Kyler Bosshardt, freshmen Kasey Anderson, Fisher Andersen and Trevor Okerlund also look to give the Wolves a deeper bench this year.”
Coach: Mike Heninger (1st year)
2011-2012 Record: 3-16 (5th in Region 16 with 0-8 record)
2012 Postseason: Did not qualify
Returning Starters: 1
McKay Bowman, Sr., Forward, 9.8 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 1.1 spg
Briggs Fulton, Sr., Guard, 4.8 ppg, 2.6 rpg
Coach Comment: “Don’t let previous years' records fool you about ALA. The new coaching staff is bringing in a proven basketball system. ALA will play aggressive defense and an offense that focuses on the strengths of our players.”
Deseret News prep writer Andy Sorensen contributed to these capsules
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- The photos from the seats and the sideline...
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads into...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- Former BYU tight end Dennis Pitta's season is...
- BYU supports Virginia kicker whose dad...
- Utah football notes: Paul makes quite a splash
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 139
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 90
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 76
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to... 70
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 53
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart... 32
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset,... 29