High school boys basketball: 3A team-by-team region capsules
Brandon Olsen, Sr., Center
Boston VanDaVeur, Soph., Guard
Sam Kingdon, Soph., Guard/Forward
Coach Comment: “We are not returning a lot of experience, but this group has a chance to be dangerous if they can defend and work hard as a team. We will need to learn quickly, but this group is capable of beating teams if they play together.”
Region 11 Capsules
Head Coach: Jim Wiscombe (26th year)
2011-2012 Record: 21-4 (1st in Region 11 with 12-0 record)
2012 Postseason: Lost to Hurricane in 3A quarterfinals, 54-43
Returning Starters: 1
Jake Miles, Sr., Forward, 19.4 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 2 apg, 1.7 spg
Matt Murdock, Jr., Guard
Cameron Skinner, Sr., Center, 1.6 ppg
Ben Saunders, Junior
Coach Comment: “Jake Miles will have to lead the team, (as the) one returning starter. Other players will have to step up to fill the shoes of last year’s seniors, especially in the post positions.”
Head Coach: Ryan Wilcox (4th year)
2011-2012 Record: 17-8 (2nd in Region 11 with 10-2 record)
2012 Postseason: Lost to Desert Hills in 3A quarterfinals, 55-41
Returning Starters: 3
Sterling Brandley, Sr., Guard 8.7 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 6.9 apg, 2.5 spg
Josh Hardin, Sr., Forward, 14 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 1.4 apg
Sage Eastburn, Sr., Forward, 3.6 ppg, 3.3 rpg
Coach Comment: “Our team has some key pieces coming back this season. We have three returning starters that should all have great seasons. We also have some young guys playing well, and some seniors that have put in a lot of time in the offseason to improve their game. We will be a blue-collar team that is not afraid to get on the floor. Every game should be a battle, and it will be fun to be a part of.”
Head Coach: Kasey Winters (4th year)
2011-2012 Record: 7-15 (Tied for 3rd in Region 11 with 6-6 record)
2012 Postseason: Lost to Delta in the 3A first round, 49-39
Returning Starters: 2
Wade Miller, Sr., Guard 17.4 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 1.7 apg
Kyle Zundel, Sr., Forward, 4.3 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 1.5 apg
Austin Miller, Sr., Forward, 2.6 ppg, 2 rpg
Nick Hillis, Jr., Center, 3.5 ppg, 2.2 rpg
Head Coach: Ryan Harris (4th year)
2011-2012 Record: 9-12 (5th in Region 11 with 5-7 record)
2012 Postseason: Did not qualify
Returning Starters: 3
Stone Tia, Sr., Forward, 6.8 ppg, 3.1 rpg
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings University of...
- Morning links: Steve Young quotes Joseph...
- Ute recruit Tyler Huntley posting huge...
- Felt's Facts: Breaking down the Utah high...
- Underrated East Carolina will test BYU's defense
- Hawaii trip had benefits for Utah Jazz aside...
- Utah football fans set to camp out for ESPN's...
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 53
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 46
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 39
- Utah Utes football: The California... 30
- Utes back in the college football... 27
- BYU coaches continue helping players... 22
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings... 20
- Underrated East Carolina will test... 18