High school boys basketball: 3A team-by-team region capsules
The 2012-2013 high school basketball season gets underway this Tuesday with 25 games around the state. To prepare fans what should be another exciting season, the Deseret News has put together capsules for every team in 3A.
Every coach was invited to participate and submit information. The region rankings are based on coaches' preseason projections.
Region 9 Capsules
Head Coach: Wade Turley (1st year)
2011-2012 Record: 21-4 (1st in Region 9 with 10-2 record)
2012 Postseason: Lost to Hurricane in the 3A championship, 52-49
Returning Starters: 2
Josh Anderson, Sr., F/C, 6.6 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 1.1 spg
Ty Rutledge, Sr., Guard 5.8 ppg, 1.9 rpg
Chase Thomson, Sr., G
Coach Comment: “Desert Hills is young and inexperienced with only two returning players that have any varsity playing time. Our coaching staff feels we have talented players, but our success will depend how well we play together as a team. If all goes well and we can stay healthy, Desert Hills can be in the mix for a region championship.”
Head Coach: Ryan Cuff (5th year)
2011-2012 Record: 13-12 (4th in Region 9 with 7-5 record)
2012 Postseason: Lost to Desert Hills in 3A semifinals, 55-51
Returning Starters: 0
Kyler Smith, Sr., Forward, 4.7 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 2.2 apg, 1.5 spg
Kyle Hansen, Sr., Forward
Dakota Bair, Sr., Guard 1.9 ppg, 1.5 rpg
Cole Critchfield, Sophomore, Guard 1.3 ppg
Head Coach: James Brown (12th year)
2011-2012 Record: 10-10 (5th in Region 9 with 5-7 record)
2012 Postseason: Did not qualify
Returning Starters: 1
Chandler Gines, Sr., Guard 8.6 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 1.5 spg
Gabe Jensen, Sr., Guard 3.4 ppg, 1 rpg
Nate Gottfredson, Jr., C, 1.1 ppg, 1 rpg
Kallan Webster, Sr., Guard 1.5 ppg
Coach Comment: “We have good guard leadership and some young bigs that give us some size we have missed the last couple of years. Looking to mature fast.”
Head Coach: Craig Cardon
2011-2012 Record: (Tied for 2nd in Region 9 with 9-3 record)
2012 Postseason: Lost to Hurricane in 3A semifinals, 44-42
Returning Starters: 0
Dustin Staggs, Jr., Forward, 1.6 ppg, 2.0 rpg
Mike Hourigan, Sr., Guard
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's future...
- BYU football: Fred Warner, other...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- Dick Harmon: As camps open, Utes, Cougs and...
- Morning links: Former BYU player Paul Lasike...
- Former Utah cornerback Dominque Hatfield...
- High school football: Ben Lomond Scots 2015...
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 45
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 35
- Whittingham says Hatfield is still... 29
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's... 24
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 23
- Pac-12 media day: Utah Kyle Whittingham... 16
- Morning links: BYU letting fans... 16
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy... 13