High school boys basketball: 4A team-by-team region capsules
Shad Watson, Jr., Guard 20.1 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 1.2 apg, 2 spg
Issac Malone, Sr., Guard 1.9 ppg, 1.6 rpg, 1.5 apg, 1 spg
Tyler Bate, Sr., Center
Coach Comment: “We have a nice mix of experience and youth with good balance on the wings and at the center position. We have Shad Watson returning on the wing with two years of varsity experience. We really feel good about the upcoming year.”
Head Coach: Dan McClure (3rd year)
2011-2012 Record: 8-13 (6th in Region 5 with 1-9 record)
2012 Postseason: Did not qualify
Returning Starters: 4
Brekkott Chapman, Jr., Forward, 15.3 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 1.3 spg
David Hadley, Sr., Guard, 4.9 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 1 apg, 1 spg
Jesse Wayment, Sr., Guard, 9.6 ppg, 1.2 rpg, 1.9 apg
Jaden Jackson, Sr., Forward, 3.7 ppg, 2.4 rpg
Coach Comment: “We have a really good nucleus returning from a team that was competitive last year. I like the competiveness of this group, and if we can stay healthy I fully expect us to battle for a playoff spot in a region that will be very tough.”
Head Coach: Jason Finder (5th year)
2011-2012 Record: 11-12 (Tied for 4th in Region 5 with 4-6 record)
2012 Postseason: Lost to Olympus in the 4A first round, 51-37
Returning Starters: 1
Mason Rich, Sr., Forward, 4 ppg, 3.2 rpg
Carson Smith, Sr., Forward, 1 ppg, 1.4 rpg
Coach Comment: “ (We have) one returning starter from last year’s team that lost in the first round of the state playoffs, (but we) have all the pieces to be a very good team. The region will be very competitive, so we will have to come out and play every night.”
Region 6 Capsules
Head Coach: Mike Maxwell (24th year)
2011-2012 Record: 20-3 (1st in Region 6 with 10-0 record)
2012 Postseason: Lost to Orem in the 4A semifinals, 44-36
Returning Starters: 2
Sam Merrill, Jr., Guard 6.8 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 2.2 apg, 1.4 spg
Zac Seljaas, Soph., Guard 4.7 ppg, 2.2 rpg, 1.2 apg
Pere LeSueur, Jr., Guard
Jeff Pollard, Soph. Forward
Nate Pollard, Sr., Center
Coach Comment: “Tall, young, talented team needs to work on consistency. They could be very good in time and possibly challenge for region and state titles. Will need to mature quickly and learn to overcome adversity that is certainly going to come their way. If they do, it could be a very exciting year.”
Head Coach: Kasey Walkenhurst (1st year)
2011-2012 Record: 16-7 (Tied for 2nd in Region 6 with 6-4 record)
- Utah's 'big game' against Big Blue has...
- Cougars respect Nebraska, but say they...
- Flaming spears, furry mascots and drum lines:...
- BYU football: The Nebraska Cornhuskers in 6...
- Morning links: Taysom Hill profiled by ESPN;...
- Dick Harmon: College predictions: Utes to...
- Red and blue recruits: Jaren Hall excited for...
- BYU football notebook: Cougars to welcome...
- Lone Peak's Frank Jackson sees Duke as... 77
- BYU's Davis faces misdemeanor assault,... 69
- BYU football notebook: Team captains... 51
- Utah's 'big game' against Big Blue has... 40
- Michigan to debut its Harbaugh era in... 37
- Take expletives, not religion, out of... 30
- Cougars looking for special season with... 29
- Morning links: Taysom Hill, Chuckie... 29