There was no blasting off for the Houston Rockets tonight, as the Utah Jazz pulled off a 102-91 victory in Salt Lake City.
After starting slow in the first quarter, the Jazz finished the period with a three-point lead. The Jazz then went on a 17-4 run at the beginning of the second quarter to blow the game wide open, and it was never even close after. The Jazz outscored the Rockets 32-18 in the second quarter.
Gordon Hayward led a balanced attack for Utah with 15 points on 5-12 shooting. Jamaal Tinsley was not one of the five Jazz players to reach double figures in scoring, but he did chip in with a game-high 11 assists and three points.
Houston's Patrick Patterson led all scorers with 19 points, 15 of which came in the first half.
The Jazz outrebounded the Rockets 55-49, had 30 assists to Houston's 18 and held the Rockets to 34.9-percent shooting from the field.
With the win, the Jazz improve to 6-6 on the season. The Jazz next host Jimmer Fredette and the Sacramento Kings Friday night.
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's quarterback,...
- Utah high school boys basketball previews:...
- Former Ute Delon Wright, former Cougar Jimmer...
- BYU's Rose adjusts lineup — freshman...
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan against...
- How did they fare? Locals in the NFL roundup...
- Rock On: A bad day gets worse for Whittingham
- Doug Robinson: It's the same old sad story of...
- 13th-ranked Utes go south, drop pivotal... 128
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 54
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes disappoint but not... 52
- College football: Utes hanging on in... 45
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 44
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 39
- Utes lost more than just a game on... 38
- Live updates: No. 13 Utah takes on UCLA... 35