UVU basketball: Wolverines travel to Santa Clara for three games
OREM, Utah – Utah Valley University men’s basketball travels to Northern California this week for three games in the CBE Hall of Fame Classic at Santa Clara University.
The Wolverines (2-2) will face Eastern Washington on Tuesday, host Santa Clara on Wednesday and, after a day off on Thanksgiving, will wrap up the tournament with USC Upstate on Friday. All three games can be heard live on 960 AM the Zone.
“We’ll be facing an outstanding field of competition with multiple styles of play,” UVU head coach Dick Hunsaker said. “We’re going to have to be prepared to face a number of looks from each of our opponents.”
The Wolverines won their home opener Saturday, 96-70, over Arizona Christian behind a balanced effort led by Nick Thompson’s 20 points. Four other players also reached double figures for UVU including 17 from Ben Aird and a career-high 15 from Taylor Brown.
Saturday’s game was the lone home contest for the month of November. The Wolverines will play seven of their eight games in Novemeber away from the UCCU Center.
UVU opens this week’s play in the 4,500-seat Leavey Center on Tuesday at 9:15 p.m. MT against Eastern Washington of the Big Sky Conference. The Eagles (0-3) have played three road games up to this point, including a loss at Saint Mary’s on Sunday.
Head coach Jim Hayford’s squad is led in scoring by Justin Crosgile’s 19.7 points per game. Big man Martin Seiferth, the reigning BSC Player of the Week, is averaging 11.7 points and his early-season success includes a 27-point, 17-rebound effort at Cal State Northridge. Seiferth is averaging over three blocks per game so far.
Host Santa Clara will open with USC Upstate before taking on the Wolverines on Wednesday at 9:15 p.m. MT. The West Coast Conference’s Broncos are 2-0 entering the tournament including a win at Saint Louis last week.
Kerry Keating, in his sixth season at the helm, got a 30-point night from senior Kevin Foster in the win at Saint Louis. A prolific scorer and 3-point threat throughout his career, Foster also broke Steve Nash’s career assist record at SCU as a junior.
The Wolverines wrap up the week with Atlantic Sun member USC Upstate in an afternoon contest Friday. Tip for that game is set for 3 p.m. MT. The Spartans are 1-2 so far this season under coach Eddie Payne, who is in his 11th year with the team.
The 28-year coaching veteran has three players averaging in double figures led by 17.7 points from Torrey Craig. After Tuesday’s game against Santa Clara, Upstate will face Eastern Washington on Wednesday.
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- Utah State denies David Collette's release,...
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's quarterback,...
- Dick Harmon: Aggies will give BYU best shot...
- BYU holds on for tougher-than-expected 75-68...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- BYU-Utah State is a rivalry again due to...
- Former Ute Delon Wright, former Cougar Jimmer...
- Jazz beat Clippers 102-91 to snap 13-game...
- 13th-ranked Utes go south, drop pivotal... 128
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 57
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes disappoint but not... 52
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 49
- College football: Utes hanging on in... 45
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 41
- Utes lost more than just a game on... 38
- Live updates: No. 13 Utah takes on UCLA... 35