PROVO, Utah – BYU men’s swimming has four relay teams ranked in the top 16 in the country this week following the teams' performances at the Arena Invitational.
“It was a great performance by those guys this weekend,” head coach John Brooks said. “In two of the races, two guys were only wearing their Speedos and not their speed suits, so that is pretty impressive. They set a school record in one event and in two events they have the second fastest times as well.”
The 200 medley relay team set a new school record with its time of 1:28.49 and is now ranked fifth. The team consists of Preston Jenkins, Brady Wells, David Armstrong and Brent Murray.
There are two more teams ranked in the top 10. The 200 free team consisting of Jordan Fletcher, Payton Sorenson, Garret Beaman and Murray is ranked seventh with a time of 1:20.48. The 800 medley team of Jenkins, Wells, Armstrong and Murray is ranked seventh as well with a time of 3:16.81.
The 800 free team is ranked 16th in the country with a time of 6:47.26. On that team are Stott Bushnell, Robert Miner, Samuel Bates and Jenkins.
Along with setting the school record in the 200 medley, the 400 medley and the 200 free teams recorded the second fastest times in school history.
Go to the USA Swimming website for a complete listing of all events and top times.
Jared Houghton is a Sports Information Director who works in the BYU Athletic Communications with the men's and women's swimming teams. He can be reached at email@example.com for questions relating to swimming.
- Roger Federer says he is out for Olympics,...
- Mickelson not close to being over runner-up...
- College Football Playoff moves most future...
- Olympic organizers suspect 'isolated'...
- Cavaliers re-sign veteran forward Richard...
- Jimmy Walker opens with 65 at stifling PGA;...
- Akpom scores deciding goal as Arsenal tops...
- Streb shoots 63 and joins Walker in lead at PGA
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 65
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 58
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 52
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 40
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 37
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 20