Utah Utes football: Failed fake punt attempt changes game, leads to Utes loss to Arizona, 34-24
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The Utes are left with a sour taste in their mouths after they let a third-quarter lead slip away from them. And with it slipped their season and chances of going to a bowl game for a 10th straight season.
Utah couldn't hang on and fell to the Arizona Wildcats, 34-24, Saturday at Rice-Eccles Stadium. With the defeat, the Utes fall to 4-7 and cannot qualify for a bowl game.
This game was a "must win" for the Utes, and they came up short.
It all changed on one of Utah's several fourth-down conversion attempts.
At the end of the third quarter, the Utes had a seven-point lead and the momentum was in their favor. However, they allowed Arizona to score on the first drive of the fourth quarter to tie the game, 24-24.
Utah found itself facing a fourth-and-six. Instead of punting, the Utes put Sean Sellwood on the field to fake the punt and throw to Mike Honeycutt. The pass was complete, but well short of the first down.
It was the start of Utah's downfall.
Arizona scored an easy touchdown on its next drive and then sealed the victory with a field goal near the end of the game.
Utah finished with 449 total yards and had more time of possession, but its fate was determined by converting only 1-5 fourth-down tries.
Arizona's running back Ka'Deem Carey finished with 204 yards and one touchdown to help lead his team to victory.
Whitney O'Bannon is currently a new media sports intern for the Deseret News.
- Morning links: Bronson Kaufusi could be on...
- Free agent roundup: Where local prospects are...
- Utah State football: Offensive lineman Tyshon...
- 41-year-old mom looking to join U.S. team,...
- Local flavor in the NBA (and beyond): Lillard...
- Detroit Lions pick up fifth-year option on...
- Mike Sorensen: These awful NBA free-throw...
- Kim Cowart: My mom makes me a better runner
- Big 12 would be better off expanding,... 95
- Going the distance: BYU, Big 12 aren't... 78
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion probable... 65
- Former BYU quarterback Jake Heaps signs... 36
- Utah baseball team surprisingly leads... 31
- Report: Utah's Poeltl, Weber State's... 29
- Dick Harmon: SUU, Kaufusi big winners... 29
- Morning links: Taysom Hill a Top 25... 22