Two boaters found in Great Salt Lake after extensive search
MAGNA — Two men were retrieved from Great Salt Lake late Saturday night after an extensive search and rescue effort.
According to Lt. Justin Hoyal with Unified Police Department, a helicopter spotted the two men floating in the water just after 11:00 p.m. Saturday night. Hoyal said he was unable to confirm their condition, but the men are likely dead.
The three men went hunting on the Great Salt Lake around 1:00 p.m. Saturday in a flat-bottomed boat. When the men went to return to the Great Salt Lake Marina a storm hit and caused the boat to take on water and capsized.
"They stayed with the boat, treaded water with it for a short little while, until one of the individuals, a 24-year-old male who is here with us, told the other two to stay with the boat, he was going to go get help," Hoyal said.
The 24-year-old male was located by state parks personnel around 5:50 p.m. and was treated at the scene.
The capsized boat was located around 9:00 p.m.
The two men were not found near the boat and they were about a half-mile away from each other.
The identities of the men have not been released.
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention...
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes into...
- Utah leads the nation in deadly melanoma cases
- Fired West Valley officer's defense team goes...
- Summer downpour causes flooding, slides...
- Long road to trial begins Wednesday for...
- Fatal Draper house fire was intentionally...
- Federal land managers criticized over... 26
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 25
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 21
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes... 19
- Habitual offender arrested in alleged... 17
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 16
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake... 12
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via... 12