Two boaters found in Great Salt Lake after extensive search
MAGNA — Two men were retrieved from Great Salt Lake late Saturday night after an extensive search and rescue effort.
According to Lt. Justin Hoyal with Unified Police Department, a helicopter spotted the two men floating in the water just after 11:00 p.m. Saturday night. Hoyal said he was unable to confirm their condition, but the men are likely dead.
The three men went hunting on the Great Salt Lake around 1:00 p.m. Saturday in a flat-bottomed boat. When the men went to return to the Great Salt Lake Marina a storm hit and caused the boat to take on water and capsized.
"They stayed with the boat, treaded water with it for a short little while, until one of the individuals, a 24-year-old male who is here with us, told the other two to stay with the boat, he was going to go get help," Hoyal said.
The 24-year-old male was located by state parks personnel around 5:50 p.m. and was treated at the scene.
The capsized boat was located around 9:00 p.m.
The two men were not found near the boat and they were about a half-mile away from each other.
The identities of the men have not been released.
- Salt Lake officer captured Dillon Taylor...
- North Ogden woman sent to prison in...
- Fallen hiker had passion for the outdoors,...
- Provo company creates program that filters...
- West Jordan, Murray residents search for...
- Police search for new public enemy No. 1:...
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year
- City officals say North Salt Lake not liable...
- Poll: Utahns willing to fight for... 56
- Vernal man claims police arrested him... 37
- Utah argues for more time to file... 33
- State asks for more time to file appeal... 24
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year 24
- End of an era: Huntsville bookshop... 22
- Poll: Majority of Utahns in favor of... 22
- Jay Evensen: Is Provo really an... 22