Two boaters found in Great Salt Lake after extensive search
MAGNA — Two men were retrieved from Great Salt Lake late Saturday night after an extensive search and rescue effort.
According to Lt. Justin Hoyal with Unified Police Department, a helicopter spotted the two men floating in the water just after 11:00 p.m. Saturday night. Hoyal said he was unable to confirm their condition, but the men are likely dead.
The three men went hunting on the Great Salt Lake around 1:00 p.m. Saturday in a flat-bottomed boat. When the men went to return to the Great Salt Lake Marina a storm hit and caused the boat to take on water and capsized.
"They stayed with the boat, treaded water with it for a short little while, until one of the individuals, a 24-year-old male who is here with us, told the other two to stay with the boat, he was going to go get help," Hoyal said.
The 24-year-old male was located by state parks personnel around 5:50 p.m. and was treated at the scene.
The capsized boat was located around 9:00 p.m.
The two men were not found near the boat and they were about a half-mile away from each other.
The identities of the men have not been released.
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- About Utah: For 95-year-old, the secret to...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to same-sex...
- U. doctor thanks strangers who saved him,...
- Third person arrested in Carbon County...
- Utah families share tragic stories of teens...
- Preliminary hearing set for Utah mom accused...
- Educators at UEA convention told to... 40
- Federal government extends same-sex... 30
- Autopsy shows man posed no threat to... 23
- Mia Love included in a new ad... 21
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 16
- Police arrest 3 suspected of... 15
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 15
- Risque video shoots trigger... 14