Two boaters found in Great Salt Lake after extensive search
MAGNA — Two men were retrieved from Great Salt Lake late Saturday night after an extensive search and rescue effort.
According to Lt. Justin Hoyal with Unified Police Department, a helicopter spotted the two men floating in the water just after 11:00 p.m. Saturday night. Hoyal said he was unable to confirm their condition, but the men are likely dead.
The three men went hunting on the Great Salt Lake around 1:00 p.m. Saturday in a flat-bottomed boat. When the men went to return to the Great Salt Lake Marina a storm hit and caused the boat to take on water and capsized.
"They stayed with the boat, treaded water with it for a short little while, until one of the individuals, a 24-year-old male who is here with us, told the other two to stay with the boat, he was going to go get help," Hoyal said.
The 24-year-old male was located by state parks personnel around 5:50 p.m. and was treated at the scene.
The capsized boat was located around 9:00 p.m.
The two men were not found near the boat and they were about a half-mile away from each other.
The identities of the men have not been released.
- Lehi toddler killed in accident remembered as...
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- A river runs dry: Water and the future of...
- Cyclist killed on training run after...
- Photo gallery: Holi festival immerses Utahns...
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more in wake...
- American Fork cyclist killed during training...
- Boy, 3, killed in Lehi scooter accident
- President Obama to make first trip to... 111
- BYU student claims he was evicted after... 57
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more... 41
- Sen. Harry Reid's retirement recalls... 40
- Cyclist killed on training run after... 23
- School leaders look for solutions to... 20
- A river runs dry: Water and the future... 15
- Man who crashed truck into house... 12