Two boaters found in Great Salt Lake after extensive search
MAGNA — Two men were retrieved from Great Salt Lake late Saturday night after an extensive search and rescue effort.
According to Lt. Justin Hoyal with Unified Police Department, a helicopter spotted the two men floating in the water just after 11:00 p.m. Saturday night. Hoyal said he was unable to confirm their condition, but the men are likely dead.
The three men went hunting on the Great Salt Lake around 1:00 p.m. Saturday in a flat-bottomed boat. When the men went to return to the Great Salt Lake Marina a storm hit and caused the boat to take on water and capsized.
"They stayed with the boat, treaded water with it for a short little while, until one of the individuals, a 24-year-old male who is here with us, told the other two to stay with the boat, he was going to go get help," Hoyal said.
The 24-year-old male was located by state parks personnel around 5:50 p.m. and was treated at the scene.
The capsized boat was located around 9:00 p.m.
The two men were not found near the boat and they were about a half-mile away from each other.
The identities of the men have not been released.
- 5 Browns sisters to promote bill on statute...
- High school student found dead near Draper...
- Heavy rains in Utah fail to wash away drought
- We're not in Utah anymore — photos of...
- 14 things you didn't know about dreams
- Vernal man accused of beating puppy with a bat
- BYU Museum of Art acquires previously lost...
- Grantsville residents tell Prison Relocation...
- Gov. Herbert stepping up pressure on... 44
- Utahns cheer, jeer appeals court's... 41
- 5 Browns sisters to promote bill on... 38
- Utah Attorney General's office moves to... 25
- Heavy rains in Utah fail to wash away... 23
- Grantsville residents tell Prison... 22
- Conservative group yanks TV ads... 18
- Parents of teen who died in overdose... 17