SAINT GEORGE, Utah – Kaylah Miller (San Diego, CA/La Jolla Country Day) led the team in points for the second straight game, but that was not enough as the Dixie State women's basketball team lost 74-52 to Simon Fraser on Saturday afternoon in the DSC Tip-Off Classic.
Miller's team-high 14 points couldn't spark a DSC team that couldn't get things going. The turnover bug once again plagued the Red Storm. They committed 24 turnovers that led to 26 Simon Fraser points.
Despite shooting 42 percent from the field for the game, it was turnovers and the offensive glass that helped the Clan extinguish the Red Storm. SFU had 15 offensive boards that led to 20-second chance points.
Dixie State only led once in the game at 3-0, and SFU used several runs to take a 32-22 lead into halftime.
In the second half, the Clan built a lead by as many as 24 points with 3:52 remaining.
SFU attempted 18 more shots than the Red Storm and shot 42.6 percent from the field.
Three Clan players finished in double-figures, Erin Chambers led all-scorers with 17 points, Chlesea Reist added 13 points and Kia Van Laare had 12. Nayo Raincock-Ekunwe added a game-high 10 rebounds.
Miller led the Red Storm with 14, despite shooting 6 for 15 from the field and 2 for 7 from three-point range. Johnna Brown (Las Vegas, NV/Centennial ) added 10 points and six rebounds in just 17 minutes of time.
"I'm frustrated with the way we played this weekend and we will have two work hard this week in practice to make some adjustments," head coach Angie Kristensen said. "We will get there."
Dixie State drops to 1-2 on the season and lost back-to-back home games for the first time since December 18 and 19 of 2007.
Simon Fraser improves to 4-1 on the season and already has wins over Grand Canyon and UC San Diego.
Dixie State travels to Billings, Mont., for a tournament Friday and Saturday. It will play host school Montana State Billings on Friday at 7:00 p.m. and Saturday against Colorado State Pueblo at 5:00 p.m.
Jeff Cluff is the Coordinator of Media Relations at Dixie State College Atheltics. Contact him at email@example.com.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 29
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 24
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 21
- AP All-Americans: Utah's Wright named... 19