Tyler Haws scored 21 points and grabbed six rebounds, but it wasn't enough as the BYU Cougars fell to the Notre Dame Fighting Irish, 78-68, in the consolation game of the Coaches vs. Cancer Classic in Brooklyn on Saturday.
Brandon Davies added 12 points and five rebounds for the Cougars (2-2), but foul trouble stymied him through much of the game. The Cougars also shot just 39 percent from the floor.
BYU led by a point at halftime, but they struggled to score against the Irish's zone defense. The Cougars only made 3 out of 14 3-point attempts for the game.
Meanwhile, forward Jack Cooley and guard Jerian Grant scored 19 points each to lead Notre Dame (3-1). Seventeen of Grant's 19 points came in the second half.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: TheShums
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 105
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 97
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 79
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 64
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 50
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 46
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43