BYU basketball: Cougars can't hold on, lose to Notre Dame in Brooklyn
Tyler Haws scored 21 points and grabbed six rebounds, but it wasn't enough as the BYU Cougars fell to the Notre Dame Fighting Irish, 78-68, in the consolation game of the Coaches vs. Cancer Classic in Brooklyn on Saturday.
Brandon Davies added 12 points and five rebounds for the Cougars (2-2), but foul trouble stymied him through much of the game. The Cougars also shot just 39 percent from the floor.
BYU led by a point at halftime, but they struggled to score against the Irish's zone defense. The Cougars only made 3 out of 14 3-point attempts for the game.
Meanwhile, forward Jack Cooley and guard Jerian Grant scored 19 points each to lead Notre Dame (3-1). Seventeen of Grant's 19 points came in the second half.
Email: email@example.com; Twitter: TheShums
- 20 questions: How well do you know Tyler...
- High school basketball tournaments: Pairings,...
- 15 signs that you're addicted to your Fitbit
- 4A boys basketball tournament quarterfinal...
- 16 Mormon pop culture moments from 2014-15
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest for...
- High school boys basketball: Viewmont's...
- Morning links: Utah coaching job ranked; NFL...
- Too many turnovers, not enough baskets... 114
- Peavler: BYU and Utah would both be... 87
- Holmoe talks about bowl brawl... 80
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest... 53
- Utah falls to No. 13 in AP poll;... 42
- Dick Harmon: Putting Haws' impending... 37
- Morning links: Examining BYU's at-large... 29
- Morning links: Utah coaching job... 28