BYU basketball: Cougars can't hold on, lose to Notre Dame in Brooklyn
Tyler Haws scored 21 points and grabbed six rebounds, but it wasn't enough as the BYU Cougars fell to the Notre Dame Fighting Irish, 78-68, in the consolation game of the Coaches vs. Cancer Classic in Brooklyn on Saturday.
Brandon Davies added 12 points and five rebounds for the Cougars (2-2), but foul trouble stymied him through much of the game. The Cougars also shot just 39 percent from the floor.
BYU led by a point at halftime, but they struggled to score against the Irish's zone defense. The Cougars only made 3 out of 14 3-point attempts for the game.
Meanwhile, forward Jack Cooley and guard Jerian Grant scored 19 points each to lead Notre Dame (3-1). Seventeen of Grant's 19 points came in the second half.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: TheShums
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 82
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 62
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 41
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 34
- Former Utah basketball player spreads... 25