Utah State football: Aggies leading Tech in de facto WAC title game
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
The Utah State Aggie football team is leading the No. 19 Louisiana Tech Bulldogs in the de facto WAC championship game at the half, 17-3.
Half of the story in the first half has been the strength of the Utah State defense. The No. 2 offensive team in the country was held to 182 total yards (83 passing, 99 rushing) and three total points.
Louisiana Tech's offense began moving the ball down the field in earnest during the second quarter. In that quarter, the Aggies held them to a field goal and intercepted a pass in the end zone.
The other half of the story has been penalties. At one point early in the second quarter, the Bulldogs had moved farther down the field because of Utah State penalties than because of their own offense.
USU scored two offensive touchdowns in the first half, but a third touchdown was called back because of a holding penalty and personal foul. Kicker Nick Diaz went 1-for-2 on his field goal attempts in the first half.
Utah State extended its remarkable streak of first-quarter dominance. The Aggies have outscored their opponents in the first quarter by more than 100 points over the course of the season.
The only other time that Louisiana Tech has trailed by a significant margin this season was against Texas A&M, the same A&M team that knocked off No. 1 Alabama in Tuscaloosa.
Landon Hemsley is sports content manager for DeseretNews.com.
- Past few days 'difficult' for former...
- Defending champ Serena Williams at Wimbledon...
- Chile wins 2nd straight Copa America title as...
- Messi's retirement from Argentina could hurt...
- Most common names of NBA players this season
- Injured Lochte plows ahead in 200 free at US...
- Djokovic beat James Ward to open bid for 5th...
- Durant, Anthony lead US Olympic basketball team
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 81
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 51
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 20
- Utes have a lot of depth on the... 18
- Utah football: Williams, McCormick... 18