High school football: Timpview beats Mountain Crest in double overtime to win 4A title
SALT LAKE CITY — The Timpview Thunderbirds rallied from an early deficit to defeat Mountain Crest in double overtime of the 4A state championship game, 38-31, at Rice-Eccles Stadium on Friday evening.
Timpview trailed 17-14 at the start of the fourth quarter before scoring 10 points in the final period, including a 31-yard field goal by Tyler Solorzano as time ran out, to send the game to OT.
Lloyd scored Timpview's touchdown in the second extra period, rushing from 7 yards out.
The Thunderbird then defense stifled Mountain Crest's offense, allowing just four plays and ending the game with a 3-yard sack of Hall.
The Thunderbirds last won the 4A championship in 2009.
Sarah Thomas is a graduate of the University of Utah and has been covering sports for the Deseret News since 2008.
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- 5 things to watch for as BYU, Utah and USU...
- Randy Hollis: Utah's Perrins is one of the...
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- High school football: Hunter Wolverines 2015...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 113
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 54
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 44
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 27
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 22
- Whittingham says Hatfield is still... 21