High school football: Timpview beats Mountain Crest in double overtime to win 4A title
SALT LAKE CITY — The Timpview Thunderbirds rallied from an early deficit to defeat Mountain Crest in double overtime of the 4A state championship game, 38-31, at Rice-Eccles Stadium on Friday evening.
Timpview trailed 17-14 at the start of the fourth quarter before scoring 10 points in the final period, including a 31-yard field goal by Tyler Solorzano as time ran out, to send the game to OT.
Lloyd scored Timpview's touchdown in the second extra period, rushing from 7 yards out.
The Thunderbird then defense stifled Mountain Crest's offense, allowing just four plays and ending the game with a 3-yard sack of Hall.
The Thunderbirds last won the 4A championship in 2009.
Sarah Thomas is a graduate of the University of Utah and has been covering sports for the Deseret News since 2008.
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 80
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 62
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 40
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 34