High school football: Timpview beats Mountain Crest in double overtime to win 4A title
SALT LAKE CITY — The Timpview Thunderbirds rallied from an early deficit to defeat Mountain Crest in double overtime of the 4A state championship game, 38-31, at Rice-Eccles Stadium on Friday evening.
Timpview trailed 17-14 at the start of the fourth quarter before scoring 10 points in the final period, including a 31-yard field goal by Tyler Solorzano as time ran out, to send the game to OT.
Lloyd scored Timpview's touchdown in the second extra period, rushing from 7 yards out.
The Thunderbird then defense stifled Mountain Crest's offense, allowing just four plays and ending the game with a 3-yard sack of Hall.
The Thunderbirds last won the 4A championship in 2009.
Sarah Thomas is a graduate of the University of Utah and has been covering sports for the Deseret News since 2008.
- Newcomers enjoy BYU hoops debut in Cougar Tipoff
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the...
- Live streams: 2A & 3A volleyball championship...
- High school football: Improbable final play...
- Felt's Facts, playoff edition: Newcomers,...
- Utah Jazz fall to Rockets on opening night
- Former BYU pitcher Jeremy Guthrie's little...
- Mormons in the rodeo: LDS competitors find...
- Keeping it rolling: Utes top Trojans in... 88
- BYU needs win at Middle Tennessee to... 78
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 58
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 54
- High school football: State tournament... 50
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- BYU men, women both picked to finish... 32