High school football: Timpview beats Mountain Crest in double overtime to win 4A title
SALT LAKE CITY — The Timpview Thunderbirds rallied from an early deficit to defeat Mountain Crest in double overtime of the 4A state championship game, 38-31, at Rice-Eccles Stadium on Friday evening.
Timpview trailed 17-14 at the start of the fourth quarter before scoring 10 points in the final period, including a 31-yard field goal by Tyler Solorzano as time ran out, to send the game to OT.
Lloyd scored Timpview's touchdown in the second extra period, rushing from 7 yards out.
The Thunderbird then defense stifled Mountain Crest's offense, allowing just four plays and ending the game with a 3-yard sack of Hall.
The Thunderbirds last won the 4A championship in 2009.
Sarah Thomas is a graduate of the University of Utah and has been covering sports for the Deseret News since 2008.
- BYU football notebook: Coaches make notable...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- Texas will be without starting QB, center for...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- First steps: Utes open season with... 66
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 66
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 33
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28
- BYU's suspended players expected to be... 28