BYU basketball: Hot-shooting Florida State sprints past BYU at Coaches vs. Cancer Classic
When Davies returned to the floor with 9:31 remaining in the first half, he scored six straight points to pull BYU to within three, 31-28. Davies ended up scoring 19 points in 21 minutes of action.
The Cougars tied the score at 34 with four minutes left in the half, but Florida State finished with a flurry, going on a 10-2 burst, including a 3-pointer just before the halftime buzzer.
"That little run at the end of the first half, we'll probably kick ourselves a little bit," Rose said.
In the second half, FSU's 3-point shooting barrage continued. Meanwhile, Davies picked up his third and fourth fouls within 26 seconds of each other.
With nine minutes remaining, the Cougars trailed by 27 points.
BYU whittled the deficit to 14, at 84-70, with two minutes left, but it couldn't get any closer.
"We fought back. We showed signs of aggression," Davies said. "But the bottom line is we lost."
There were positive things that the Cougars can take from the setback, according to Rose.
"The fact that Tyler was able to make positive offensive plays for us is a real plus," he said. "We need to find more consistency in our offensive game. As inconsistent as our offensive game was, we're a lot better defensive team than that. They kind of exposed us. We need to do a way better job defensively."
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- Dick Harmon: John Beck very impressed with...
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle Whittingham...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- Utah Jazz: Better game but same losing result...
- Brad Rock: Jazz dreaming of a Blazing future
- Prognosticating, for fun, a bright BYU...
- BYU's worldwide fan base highlighted in...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 102
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 68
- Commentary: Long-term success in... 52
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 49
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 44
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34