BYU basketball: Hot-shooting Florida State sprints past BYU at Coaches vs. Cancer Classic
When Davies returned to the floor with 9:31 remaining in the first half, he scored six straight points to pull BYU to within three, 31-28. Davies ended up scoring 19 points in 21 minutes of action.
The Cougars tied the score at 34 with four minutes left in the half, but Florida State finished with a flurry, going on a 10-2 burst, including a 3-pointer just before the halftime buzzer.
"That little run at the end of the first half, we'll probably kick ourselves a little bit," Rose said.
In the second half, FSU's 3-point shooting barrage continued. Meanwhile, Davies picked up his third and fourth fouls within 26 seconds of each other.
With nine minutes remaining, the Cougars trailed by 27 points.
BYU whittled the deficit to 14, at 84-70, with two minutes left, but it couldn't get any closer.
"We fought back. We showed signs of aggression," Davies said. "But the bottom line is we lost."
There were positive things that the Cougars can take from the setback, according to Rose.
"The fact that Tyler was able to make positive offensive plays for us is a real plus," he said. "We need to find more consistency in our offensive game. As inconsistent as our offensive game was, we're a lot better defensive team than that. They kind of exposed us. We need to do a way better job defensively."
- Gordon Hayward agrees to terms with...
- Good first impression for Utah Jazz rookie...
- BYU football: 10 players to buy stock in
- Graphic: What would happen if the Jazz match...
- Vai's View: Harvey Langi hopes to transfer...
- Doug Robinson: NBA free agency is entirely...
- BYU football: 10 players poised for breakout...
- BYU football: Box Elder's Riley Burt commits...
- Vai's View: Harvey Langi hopes to... 258
- BYU-Utah rated nation's 12th-best... 104
- Gordon Hayward agrees to terms with... 60
- Brad Rock: What Gordon Hayward needs to... 32
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Robert Anae likes... 28
- 4 Utah college football players named... 28
- BYU football: Box Elder's Riley Burt... 25
- Fourth of July surprise! Steve Novak... 14