Something I have done to show my thanks for all the hard work and extra hours my husband is putting in by working full time and going to school is reading out loud to him. I am a huge bookworm — my husband not so much. By reading out loud, he says it helps him stay focused, and I feel like I’m learning right along with him. Reading on the couch by our fire together on cold evenings has actually been something I’ve enjoyed doing. We get to discuss his readings, spend some much-needed time together and feel like we’re doing something much more stimulating than sitting in silence watching yet another episode of “Mythbusters” — which we’re totally addicted to!
Giving thanks and showing gratitude don’t have to be as huge as donating a million dollars. Small and simple things such as making dinner, reading to your kids (or spouse), or calling a friend just to tell them you love them and appreciate their friendship can be exactly enough to show someone how grateful you are that they are a part of your life.
Give thanks. I’ve found it only makes you happier.
Carmen Rasmusen Herbert is a former "American Idol" contestant who writes about entertainment and family for the Deseret News.
- Modest swimsuit designer speaks out on bikinis
- Bear scare: 'Baden and Logan saved my life.'
- 7-year-old girl who met Justin Bieber passes...
- Miss Utah USA gets second chance at question...
- Dear son: This is why I can't save you from...
- Dear mom who sometimes feels like a terrible...
- 'Pain capable' abortion regulation makes...
- Pew study: News media inserted bias into gay...
- Pew study: News media inserted bias... 57
- Parents rally after Canadian elementary... 25
- Miss Utah USA gets second chance at... 21
- Gunman caught after shooting... 20
- Modest swimsuit designer speaks out on... 13
- Dad shares lessons learned from living... 12
- Ogden man shot as he knelt to pray is... 12
- Push for solutions underway to Utah's... 11