High school football: Blake Barney leads Dixie to 3A state title
SALT LAKE CITY — Blake Barney’s wizardry was too much for Spanish Fork to overcome.
The Dixie quarterback racked up 472 yards of total offense and finished with five touchdowns to lead the Flyers to a 49-21 victory in the 3A state championship game at Rice-Eccles Stadium.
It was Dixie’s first state title since 1998.
After Spanish Fork cut Dixie’s lead to 28-21 on the final play of the third quarter, Dixie responded by scoring three straight touchdowns to finish the game.
Two of those scores were Barney touchdown runs as he finished with 173 rushing yards on 15 carries. The Dixie senior completed 15-of-27 passes for 299 yards. Most of them went to Lukas Hildebrandt, who finished with 203 receiving yards.
Spanish Fork quarterback Jason Money passed for 364 yards, but the Dons couldn’t get anything going on the ground, finishing with just 61 yards.
- Week 17 NFL locals roundup & gallery: Ansah...
- Prep Wrestling: state's best wrestlers to...
- How to watch Utah football stars, local...
- Herriman brothers say their bond, competition...
- Prep Wrestling: Mountain View wins Bruin Classic
- Utahns who made us love sports in 2015
- High school basketball: Morby's last-second...
- MountainStar Healthcare Star Athletes of Week 20
- Locals and the NFL playoffs: Alex... 1
- Herriman brothers say their bond,... 1
- Utahns who made us love sports in 2015 0
- High school basketball: Morby's... 0
- How to watch Utah football stars, local... 0
- Prep Wrestling: state's best wrestlers... 0
- Prep Wrestling: Mountain View wins... 0
- Week 17 NFL locals roundup & gallery:... 0