High school football: Blake Barney leads Dixie to 3A state title
SALT LAKE CITY — Blake Barney’s wizardry was too much for Spanish Fork to overcome.
The Dixie quarterback racked up 472 yards of total offense and finished with five touchdowns to lead the Flyers to a 49-21 victory in the 3A state championship game at Rice-Eccles Stadium.
It was Dixie’s first state title since 1998.
After Spanish Fork cut Dixie’s lead to 28-21 on the final play of the third quarter, Dixie responded by scoring three straight touchdowns to finish the game.
Two of those scores were Barney touchdown runs as he finished with 173 rushing yards on 15 carries. The Dixie senior completed 15-of-27 passes for 299 yards. Most of them went to Lukas Hildebrandt, who finished with 203 receiving yards.
Spanish Fork quarterback Jason Money passed for 364 yards, but the Dons couldn’t get anything going on the ground, finishing with just 61 yards.
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the...
- Royals Pitcher Jeremy Guthrie expresses...
- Video: Improbable final play lifts Maple...
- Newcomers enjoy BYU hoops debut in Cougar Tipoff
- Live streams: 2A & 3A volleyball tournament...
- Utah Jazz fall to Rockets on opening night
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury
- BYU football: Jamaal Williams provides...
- Keeping it rolling: Utes top Trojans in... 87
- BYU needs win at Middle Tennessee to... 77
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense needs Bronco... 58
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 57
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- High school football: State tournament... 45
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 44
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42