High school football: Blake Barney leads Dixie to 3A state title
SALT LAKE CITY — Blake Barney’s wizardry was too much for Spanish Fork to overcome.
The Dixie quarterback racked up 472 yards of total offense and finished with five touchdowns to lead the Flyers to a 49-21 victory in the 3A state championship game at Rice-Eccles Stadium.
It was Dixie’s first state title since 1998.
After Spanish Fork cut Dixie’s lead to 28-21 on the final play of the third quarter, Dixie responded by scoring three straight touchdowns to finish the game.
Two of those scores were Barney touchdown runs as he finished with 173 rushing yards on 15 carries. The Dixie senior completed 15-of-27 passes for 299 yards. Most of them went to Lukas Hildebrandt, who finished with 203 receiving yards.
Spanish Fork quarterback Jason Money passed for 364 yards, but the Dons couldn’t get anything going on the ground, finishing with just 61 yards.
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads into...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU football report card: Special teams...
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 93
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 47
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 36
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33