High school football: Blake Barney leads Dixie to 3A state title
SALT LAKE CITY — Blake Barney’s wizardry was too much for Spanish Fork to overcome.
The Dixie quarterback racked up 472 yards of total offense and finished with five touchdowns to lead the Flyers to a 49-21 victory in the 3A state championship game at Rice-Eccles Stadium.
It was Dixie’s first state title since 1998.
After Spanish Fork cut Dixie’s lead to 28-21 on the final play of the third quarter, Dixie responded by scoring three straight touchdowns to finish the game.
Two of those scores were Barney touchdown runs as he finished with 173 rushing yards on 15 carries. The Dixie senior completed 15-of-27 passes for 299 yards. Most of them went to Lukas Hildebrandt, who finished with 203 receiving yards.
Spanish Fork quarterback Jason Money passed for 364 yards, but the Dons couldn’t get anything going on the ground, finishing with just 61 yards.
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Brad Rock: Utah Jazz still don't have the...
- Ranking the best point guards in the NBA...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 285
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 92
- Things won't get any easier for... 77
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 48
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 38
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37