High school football: Blake Barney leads Dixie to 3A state title
SALT LAKE CITY — Blake Barney’s wizardry was too much for Spanish Fork to overcome.
The Dixie quarterback racked up 472 yards of total offense and finished with five touchdowns to lead the Flyers to a 49-21 victory in the 3A state championship game at Rice-Eccles Stadium.
It was Dixie’s first state title since 1998.
After Spanish Fork cut Dixie’s lead to 28-21 on the final play of the third quarter, Dixie responded by scoring three straight touchdowns to finish the game.
Two of those scores were Barney touchdown runs as he finished with 173 rushing yards on 15 carries. The Dixie senior completed 15-of-27 passes for 299 yards. Most of them went to Lukas Hildebrandt, who finished with 203 receiving yards.
Spanish Fork quarterback Jason Money passed for 364 yards, but the Dons couldn’t get anything going on the ground, finishing with just 61 yards.
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon State
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl game brawl
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head coach...
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- BYU men's basketball: Winder steps up big in...
- Jordan's Austin Kafentzis will keep his...
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all brawl...
- BYU closes season with painful loss in Miami...
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 170
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 107
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 55
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 51
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head... 45
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 43