Utah gets more time to decide whether to run federal health insurance exchange
SALT LAKE CITY — Gov. Gary Herbert now has more time to decide whether Utah should defy state GOP legislative leaders and tell the Obama administration the state will run a federal health insurance exchange.
The deadline for a decision was moved from Friday to Dec. 14 by the administration after the Republican Governors Association sent a letter this week to President Barack Obama complaining the time frame was "simply unworkable."
The new exchanges, mandated under the Affordable Care Act commonly known as Obamacare, can be established by the states or left up to the federal government to put together.
Herbert is being pressured by the Republican leaders of the Utah Legislature to not get involved in the Democratic president's program. In a letter to the governor this week, the leaders said Utah should not spend any time or resources on the exchange.
A spokeswoman for the governor responded by saying Herbert "shares the same concerns legislative leaders have when it comes to determining a course for Utah's health exchange" and said he remained undecided.
Utah's governor joined his GOP counterparts nationwide in deferring the decision in the hope that Mitt Romney would win the presidency and follow through on his campaign pledge to have the health reform act repealed.
- Lehi toddler killed in accident remembered as...
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- A river runs dry: Water and the future of...
- Cyclist killed on training run after...
- Photo gallery: Holi festival immerses Utahns...
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more in wake...
- American Fork cyclist killed during training...
- Boy, 3, killed in Lehi scooter accident
- President Obama to make first trip to... 91
- BYU student claims he was evicted after... 57
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more... 40
- Sen. Harry Reid's retirement recalls... 39
- Tea party movement still strong,... 23
- Cyclist killed on training run after... 21
- A river runs dry: Water and the future... 14
- Court battle settled over Susan Powell... 11