Nathan Pacheco's debut seven-city concert tour, which ranges from Maryland to Florida to California, will make a stop in Salt Lake City on Nov. 21.
"The man with the beautiful voice" and former Brigham Young University music major, as well as a new husband and long-standing member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, has mastered the tricky art of pop/classical crossover, and his star is rising.
The Brazilian music man is the featured element in two new PBS television specials: "Introducing Nathan Pacheco: Live in Concert" (already on the air) and "Nathan Pacheco Christmas" (airing not scheduled yet).
His debut album on Disney Pearl showcases the kind of vocals with which he wowed fans on the Yanni "Voices" tour in 2009 and includes operatic classic "Nessun Dorma" and "Avatar."
He co-wrote two new pieces, "Don't Cry" and the love song "Infinito Amore," for that album.
"I've written all along. I've actually loved writing for quite a few years. I took some of Yanni's melodies and wrote lyrics for them for the 'Voices' tour," he said.
He performed in May for Prince Charles at the British Embassy in Washington.
Pacheco sings in four languages and in multiple genres, from pop to folk to opera, with ease and flawless technique.
Yanni described him as a powerful singer with no boundaries, a man with the voice that could fill the hall but croon a tender love song like a caress.
"All my efforts to master technique are for the sole purpose of connecting with people," Pacheco told The Deseret News in an earlier interview. "That’s what I go for every time. The more control I have, the more freedom I have to express what I feel."
Pacheco has told The Deseret News in past interviews that it's challenging to sing in the Rocky Mountain elevations.
See and hear video clips on his website: NathanPacheco.com
If you go:
What: Nathan Pacheco in concert
When: 7:30 p.m., Nov. 21
Where: Jeanne Wagner Theatre, 138 W. Broadway, Salt Lake City
Tickets: $35, available at ArtTix
Sharon Haddock is a professional writer with 35 years' experience, 17 at the Deseret News. Her personal blog is at sharonhaddock.blogspot.com.
- Lost recording of an interview with 1867...
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Walmart, Kmart 'Layaway Angels' spreading...
- Peter Jackson's 'Desolation of Smaug'...
- Tolkien's dragon: Why Smaug is 'the greatest...
- Utahn on 'Survivor: Blood vs. Water' heads to...
- Newtown woman seeks to share peace found in...
- Comedies grab attention after announcement of...
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be... 19
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Ann and Mitt... 13
- 'Sound of Music' hit a high note for... 9
- Lost recording of an interview with... 9
- Pope Francis wins out over Edward... 8
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: What if negative... 6
- Wright Words: Christmas Jars tradition... 6
- Peter Jackson's 'Desolation of Smaug'... 5