USU volleyball: top-Seeded women's volleyball team to face eighth-seeded UT Arlington on Monday in WAC Tournament
Top-seeded Utah State volleyball will face eighth-seeded UT Arlington in the quarterfinals of the Western Athletic Conference Tournament on Monday, Nov. 19, at 6:30 p.m. (MT) in San Antonio, Texas. The tournament is hosted by UTSA at the Convocation Center.
Entering Thursday night's regular-season finales, UT Arlington and Seattle were tied for eighth in the conference standings. UT Arlington swept Louisiana Tech, while Seattle lost at Denver in three sets to earn the eighth-seed for UT Arlington, while Seattle's season was ended.
UT Arlington is 9-21 overall after finishing WAC play with a 5-13 mark. Thursday's win over LA Tech snapped a seven-match losing skid for the Mavericks.
USU ended the regular-season with a 20-8 overall record and completed league play with a 15-3 conference mark. The 20 wins marks the second time in the last three years under head coach Grayson DuBose to reach the 20-win mark. It is the 11th time in school history to reach the 20-win plateau. USU's 15 conference wins extends its school record for most league wins in a season, bettering the previous mark of 12 Big West Conference wins in 2001. With Wednesday's win, the Aggies have won their last three home matches in a row, as well as seven of their last eight.
Utah State swept both meetings with UT Arlington this season, winning at Arlington, Texas, on Sept. 29 (25-14, 25-22, 27-25) and in Logan on Oct. 25 (25-23, 27-25, 25-19). The Aggies now hold an all-time series advantage of 9-5.
In other quarterfinal matches Monday, host and No. 3 UTSA will take on No. 6 San Jose State at 11 a.m. (MT), followed by second-seeded Idaho facing seventh-seeded Texas State at 1:30 p.m. (MT). The number four seed, New Mexico State, will take on fifth-seeded Denver at 4 p.m. (MT), preceding the USU-UT Arlington match.
The winner of the SJSU-UTSA match will face the winner of the Idaho-Texas State match in the semifinals Tuesday, Nov. 20 at 3 p.m. (MT), while the USU-UTA winner will take on the winner of the DU-NMSU match in the other semifinal Tuesday at 5:30 p.m. (MT. The WAC Championship match is slated for Wednesday, Nov. 21 at 3 p.m. (MT) and will be nationally televised on ESPNU.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans in...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former longtime Utah Jazz broadcaster Hot Rod...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes as...
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in spite...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 102
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 27
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 21
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 16