USU volleyball: top-Seeded women's volleyball team to face eighth-seeded UT Arlington on Monday in WAC Tournament
Top-seeded Utah State volleyball will face eighth-seeded UT Arlington in the quarterfinals of the Western Athletic Conference Tournament on Monday, Nov. 19, at 6:30 p.m. (MT) in San Antonio, Texas. The tournament is hosted by UTSA at the Convocation Center.
Entering Thursday night's regular-season finales, UT Arlington and Seattle were tied for eighth in the conference standings. UT Arlington swept Louisiana Tech, while Seattle lost at Denver in three sets to earn the eighth-seed for UT Arlington, while Seattle's season was ended.
UT Arlington is 9-21 overall after finishing WAC play with a 5-13 mark. Thursday's win over LA Tech snapped a seven-match losing skid for the Mavericks.
USU ended the regular-season with a 20-8 overall record and completed league play with a 15-3 conference mark. The 20 wins marks the second time in the last three years under head coach Grayson DuBose to reach the 20-win mark. It is the 11th time in school history to reach the 20-win plateau. USU's 15 conference wins extends its school record for most league wins in a season, bettering the previous mark of 12 Big West Conference wins in 2001. With Wednesday's win, the Aggies have won their last three home matches in a row, as well as seven of their last eight.
Utah State swept both meetings with UT Arlington this season, winning at Arlington, Texas, on Sept. 29 (25-14, 25-22, 27-25) and in Logan on Oct. 25 (25-23, 27-25, 25-19). The Aggies now hold an all-time series advantage of 9-5.
In other quarterfinal matches Monday, host and No. 3 UTSA will take on No. 6 San Jose State at 11 a.m. (MT), followed by second-seeded Idaho facing seventh-seeded Texas State at 1:30 p.m. (MT). The number four seed, New Mexico State, will take on fifth-seeded Denver at 4 p.m. (MT), preceding the USU-UT Arlington match.
The winner of the SJSU-UTSA match will face the winner of the Idaho-Texas State match in the semifinals Tuesday, Nov. 20 at 3 p.m. (MT), while the USU-UTA winner will take on the winner of the DU-NMSU match in the other semifinal Tuesday at 5:30 p.m. (MT. The WAC Championship match is slated for Wednesday, Nov. 21 at 3 p.m. (MT) and will be nationally televised on ESPNU.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big 12...
- Poll: Many Brazilians think Olympic Games...
- AP source: ACC, ESPN to launch ACC Network in...
- BYU and the Big 12: A timeline of events
- NCAA: No. 1 overall seed to choose tourney...
- IOC explores legal options on banning all...
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big... 126
- Brad Rock: What BYU needs to nail down... 105
- Morning links: National college... 72
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 57
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 52
- Big 12 Media Days social roundup:... 49
- Annual instate college basketball... 37