USU volleyball: top-Seeded women's volleyball team to face eighth-seeded UT Arlington on Monday in WAC Tournament
Top-seeded Utah State volleyball will face eighth-seeded UT Arlington in the quarterfinals of the Western Athletic Conference Tournament on Monday, Nov. 19, at 6:30 p.m. (MT) in San Antonio, Texas. The tournament is hosted by UTSA at the Convocation Center.
Entering Thursday night's regular-season finales, UT Arlington and Seattle were tied for eighth in the conference standings. UT Arlington swept Louisiana Tech, while Seattle lost at Denver in three sets to earn the eighth-seed for UT Arlington, while Seattle's season was ended.
UT Arlington is 9-21 overall after finishing WAC play with a 5-13 mark. Thursday's win over LA Tech snapped a seven-match losing skid for the Mavericks.
USU ended the regular-season with a 20-8 overall record and completed league play with a 15-3 conference mark. The 20 wins marks the second time in the last three years under head coach Grayson DuBose to reach the 20-win mark. It is the 11th time in school history to reach the 20-win plateau. USU's 15 conference wins extends its school record for most league wins in a season, bettering the previous mark of 12 Big West Conference wins in 2001. With Wednesday's win, the Aggies have won their last three home matches in a row, as well as seven of their last eight.
Utah State swept both meetings with UT Arlington this season, winning at Arlington, Texas, on Sept. 29 (25-14, 25-22, 27-25) and in Logan on Oct. 25 (25-23, 27-25, 25-19). The Aggies now hold an all-time series advantage of 9-5.
In other quarterfinal matches Monday, host and No. 3 UTSA will take on No. 6 San Jose State at 11 a.m. (MT), followed by second-seeded Idaho facing seventh-seeded Texas State at 1:30 p.m. (MT). The number four seed, New Mexico State, will take on fifth-seeded Denver at 4 p.m. (MT), preceding the USU-UT Arlington match.
The winner of the SJSU-UTSA match will face the winner of the Idaho-Texas State match in the semifinals Tuesday, Nov. 20 at 3 p.m. (MT), while the USU-UTA winner will take on the winner of the DU-NMSU match in the other semifinal Tuesday at 5:30 p.m. (MT. The WAC Championship match is slated for Wednesday, Nov. 21 at 3 p.m. (MT) and will be nationally televised on ESPNU.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to Cleveland...
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media...
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not on...
- The original BCS busters: Looking back at...
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- Utah's Fiesta Bowl championship team: Where...
- Utah Jazz: Latest acquisition Booker aims to...
- Rock On: Utah has LeBron Syndrome
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 224
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 86
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 75
- ACC media days has some interesting... 43
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 41
- The original BCS busters: Looking back... 39
- Utah's better BCS buster, 2004 or 2008? 27
- Off on the right foot: BYU Cougars... 24