SANDY — Beverly Savini has waited anxiously since 2010 for Friday’s 5A state championship.
Each year she’s watched her son Mori, a junior defensive lineman at Jordan, advance to the semifinals only to come up short. Finally, the Beetdiggers have an opportunity to capture their first state title since 1994 against Syracuse at 2:30 p.m. at Rice-Eccles Stadium. Beverly Savini, however, won’t be in attendance after undergoing a double-mastectomy at Huntsman Cancer Institute.
“I’m so upset,” Beverly said after being released Thursday. “I’ve been trying every angle to get up to the U., but I don’t think I can make it, let alone get up the stairs. I’m just nauseated and dizzy from the surgery still.”
Beverly was contemplating attending the game despite her health complications, but because of NCAA recruiting regulations, she’s unable to watch indoors.
“We had family trying to get us a suite at the U., but that couldn’t happen,” she said. “The coaches said it’s against NCAA recruiting because they’re recruiting Mori.”
Mori, despite his mother’s breast cancer diagnosis in August, leads the ’Diggers with 6.5 sacks and 45 tackles. At 5-foot-10, 265-pounds, Mori has 111 career tackles and 10 sacks.
“When we talk, I just reassure (him) that everything will be fine. There’s no reason to change, there’s no reason to be depressed,” Beverly said of Mori’s ability to still perform with her disease in the back of his mind. “We just need to move forward. I told him, ‘if you move forward we all move forward — you’re my strength.’ We’re trying to stay positive. So a lot of prayers and faith — we’re good.”
Currently the prognosis is positive, but until pathology reports are confirmed, it’s uncertain if the cancer will be in remission. Beverly said, “I need to do radiation, chemo or both.”
Beverly and other family members are planning on having a viewing luau to watch Mori and her nephew, Aarron Reupena, the starting offensive tackle for Jordan.
“I wouldn’t miss it for the world — there’s no way. I almost postponed my surgery,” she said. “But then I figured I can watch it at home. I’ve got the surgery under my belt, and I’m on the way to recovery.”
- Dick Harmon: Bronco Mendenhall and Cecil O....
- High school football: Reigning Mr. Football...
- Utah Jazz: Massive, state-of-the-art...
- Ready to roll: US national soccer team ready...
- BYU football: Cougars must secure their own...
- Rock On: Getting up to speed at BYU, Jazz's...
- A closer look at the Utah Jazz's 2013...
- Commentary: The 15 kings of BYU football, the...
- BYU football: Cougars must secure their... 148
- High school football: Reigning Mr.... 32
- Phil Steele ranks USU 2nd-most... 28
- Dick Harmon: Bronco Mendenhall and... 28
- Trevor Reilly, Jake Murphy to represent... 22
- Teen's family apologizes to family of... 21
- Austin Collie's workout with San... 18
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Unprecedented... 18