Inmate charged with murdering girlfriend found dead in cell
OGDEN — A man charged with murder for the death of his live-in girlfriend less than a month ago was found dead in his jail cell Wednesday night.
The body of Jeffrey Dean White, 43, was found by Weber County Jail staff members about 9:10 p.m. Wednesday. He apparently died as a result of hanging himself with a bed sheet, according to the Weber County Sheriff's Office.
White was charged in 2nd District Court on Oct. 26 with murder, a first-degree felony, and two counts of domestic violence in the presence of a child, a third-degree felony, in connection with the death of Marnie Stark, 38.
An autopsy showed Stark was killed by a lacerated liver caused by blunt force trauma. The medical examiner who performed the autopsy said the injuries were "consistent with punches or kicks," the charges state. White's two children, both under the age of 10, were in the house during the Oct. 20 attack.
White was housed in the jail's maximum security unit and did not have a cellmate, said Weber County Sheriff's Lt. Mark Lowther. Maximum security inmates are checked every 45 to 60 minutes, he said. The last time corrections officers checked White was 8:25 p.m., he said.
There had been no indication that White was suicidal and he was not on a suicide watch, Lowther said.
The death will now be investigated by the Weber County Attorney's Office, per standard protocol for all in-custody deaths.
- Searchers locate missing family of Olympian...
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via online...
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley detective...
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake...
- Healing souls, healing a mountain
- Man seeks video of 1995 Oklahoma City...
- Draper man dies from injuries in house explosion
- Salt Lake bike share program doubles in size
- Federal land managers criticized over... 24
- Renewable energy advocates decry... 19
- Habitual offender arrested in alleged... 16
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 15
- Student attitudes changing on healthy... 14
- 'No trespassing' sign may not stop... 13
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake... 11
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via... 11