Utah Utes football notebook: Jordan Wynn headed to Hawaii, accepts coaching position
Tom Smart, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Former Utah quarterback Jordan Wynn, who retired as a player earlier this season because of chronic shoulder injuries, has accepted a job on Norm Chow’s staff at Hawaii. Wynn will become the program’s new quarterbacks coach in January.
“He knows all of the technique and fundamental stuff. It’s just continuing to develop with everything,” said Brian Johnson, who was Wynn’s offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Utah. “He’s always been a very, very bright football guy.”
Wynn, who graduated in May, was helping with Utah’s quarterbacks after his career-ending injury in the 27-20 overtime loss at Utah State on Sept. 7. Wynn did not accompany the team to Washington last week, and team officials have since confirmed that he opted to leave school.
“It was a tough decision for him,” said Utah coach Kyle Whittingham, who declined to discuss Wynn’s destination. “He came to my office, he was very emotional, but it sounds like he’s got a pretty good opportunity, and I wish him well in that.”
At his retirement press conference in September, Wynn expressed an interest in pursuing a career in coaching.
“It’s definitely something that I want to do,” Wynn said after noting that he loves football and had a tough time imagining life without it.
IRON MAN: Senior receiver DeVonte Christopher is getting reps with the first offense in practice this week. He’s also seen some action with the secondary.
“It’s something I did in high school,” Christopher said. “So it should be fun. I’m definitely looking forward to it if I get out there on defense.”
COACHING CAROUSEL: Whittingham had kind things to say about former Utah defensive coordinator Gary Andersen when asked about media reports that Kentucky may be showing interest in the head coach at Utah State.
“He’s a heckuva coach,” Whittingham said. “He’s done a heckuva job in Logan, and I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of people come calling.”
Email: email@example.com Twitter: @DirkFacer
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 123
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 39
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 34
- Morning links: Utah running back's goal... 28
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 25
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 23
- Badger looking to become part of BYU's... 22