Utah Utes football notebook: Jordan Wynn headed to Hawaii, accepts coaching position
Tom Smart, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Former Utah quarterback Jordan Wynn, who retired as a player earlier this season because of chronic shoulder injuries, has accepted a job on Norm Chow’s staff at Hawaii. Wynn will become the program’s new quarterbacks coach in January.
“He knows all of the technique and fundamental stuff. It’s just continuing to develop with everything,” said Brian Johnson, who was Wynn’s offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Utah. “He’s always been a very, very bright football guy.”
Wynn, who graduated in May, was helping with Utah’s quarterbacks after his career-ending injury in the 27-20 overtime loss at Utah State on Sept. 7. Wynn did not accompany the team to Washington last week, and team officials have since confirmed that he opted to leave school.
“It was a tough decision for him,” said Utah coach Kyle Whittingham, who declined to discuss Wynn’s destination. “He came to my office, he was very emotional, but it sounds like he’s got a pretty good opportunity, and I wish him well in that.”
At his retirement press conference in September, Wynn expressed an interest in pursuing a career in coaching.
“It’s definitely something that I want to do,” Wynn said after noting that he loves football and had a tough time imagining life without it.
IRON MAN: Senior receiver DeVonte Christopher is getting reps with the first offense in practice this week. He’s also seen some action with the secondary.
“It’s something I did in high school,” Christopher said. “So it should be fun. I’m definitely looking forward to it if I get out there on defense.”
COACHING CAROUSEL: Whittingham had kind things to say about former Utah defensive coordinator Gary Andersen when asked about media reports that Kentucky may be showing interest in the head coach at Utah State.
“He’s a heckuva coach,” Whittingham said. “He’s done a heckuva job in Logan, and I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of people come calling.”
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: @DirkFacer
- Utah high school boys basketball previews:...
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan against...
- Former Ute Delon Wright, former Cougar Jimmer...
- What you may have missed: Mangum’s...
- Morning links: Utah, USU pick up commitments...
- Dick Harmon: Former BYU quarterbacks rise to...
- Utah notebook: Britain Covey will not play on...
- High school basketball: Lone Peak, Murray,...
- 13th-ranked Utes go south, drop pivotal... 127
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes disappoint but not... 52
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 52
- College football: Utes hanging on in... 40
- Utes lost more than just a game on... 38
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 37
- Live updates: No. 13 Utah takes on UCLA... 35
- Twitter reacts to Utes' offensive... 35