Utah Utes football notebook: Jordan Wynn headed to Hawaii, accepts coaching position
Tom Smart, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Former Utah quarterback Jordan Wynn, who retired as a player earlier this season because of chronic shoulder injuries, has accepted a job on Norm Chow’s staff at Hawaii. Wynn will become the program’s new quarterbacks coach in January.
“He knows all of the technique and fundamental stuff. It’s just continuing to develop with everything,” said Brian Johnson, who was Wynn’s offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Utah. “He’s always been a very, very bright football guy.”
Wynn, who graduated in May, was helping with Utah’s quarterbacks after his career-ending injury in the 27-20 overtime loss at Utah State on Sept. 7. Wynn did not accompany the team to Washington last week, and team officials have since confirmed that he opted to leave school.
“It was a tough decision for him,” said Utah coach Kyle Whittingham, who declined to discuss Wynn’s destination. “He came to my office, he was very emotional, but it sounds like he’s got a pretty good opportunity, and I wish him well in that.”
At his retirement press conference in September, Wynn expressed an interest in pursuing a career in coaching.
“It’s definitely something that I want to do,” Wynn said after noting that he loves football and had a tough time imagining life without it.
IRON MAN: Senior receiver DeVonte Christopher is getting reps with the first offense in practice this week. He’s also seen some action with the secondary.
“It’s something I did in high school,” Christopher said. “So it should be fun. I’m definitely looking forward to it if I get out there on defense.”
COACHING CAROUSEL: Whittingham had kind things to say about former Utah defensive coordinator Gary Andersen when asked about media reports that Kentucky may be showing interest in the head coach at Utah State.
“He’s a heckuva coach,” Whittingham said. “He’s done a heckuva job in Logan, and I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of people come calling.”
Email: email@example.com Twitter: @DirkFacer
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- BYU football: This Nephi played a role in...
- Perseverance pays off for Taele, a big...
- Red and blue recruits: Utes reap recruiting...
- BYU football notebook: Running back position...
- Tempers flare in Jazz's physical overtime win...
- SUU pushes forward after...
- Dick Harmon: Want drama? Storylines galore?...
- College football: Utes climb to No. 5... 59
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 51
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 45
- ESPN's College GameDay is coming to... 34
- Utah Utes football: The California... 27
- After win, BYU looking to improve, get... 26
- Utes back in the college football... 24
- BYU coaches continue helping players... 22