Utah Utes football notebook: Jordan Wynn headed to Hawaii, accepts coaching position
Tom Smart, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Former Utah quarterback Jordan Wynn, who retired as a player earlier this season because of chronic shoulder injuries, has accepted a job on Norm Chow’s staff at Hawaii. Wynn will become the program’s new quarterbacks coach in January.
“He knows all of the technique and fundamental stuff. It’s just continuing to develop with everything,” said Brian Johnson, who was Wynn’s offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Utah. “He’s always been a very, very bright football guy.”
Wynn, who graduated in May, was helping with Utah’s quarterbacks after his career-ending injury in the 27-20 overtime loss at Utah State on Sept. 7. Wynn did not accompany the team to Washington last week, and team officials have since confirmed that he opted to leave school.
“It was a tough decision for him,” said Utah coach Kyle Whittingham, who declined to discuss Wynn’s destination. “He came to my office, he was very emotional, but it sounds like he’s got a pretty good opportunity, and I wish him well in that.”
At his retirement press conference in September, Wynn expressed an interest in pursuing a career in coaching.
“It’s definitely something that I want to do,” Wynn said after noting that he loves football and had a tough time imagining life without it.
IRON MAN: Senior receiver DeVonte Christopher is getting reps with the first offense in practice this week. He’s also seen some action with the secondary.
“It’s something I did in high school,” Christopher said. “So it should be fun. I’m definitely looking forward to it if I get out there on defense.”
COACHING CAROUSEL: Whittingham had kind things to say about former Utah defensive coordinator Gary Andersen when asked about media reports that Kentucky may be showing interest in the head coach at Utah State.
“He’s a heckuva coach,” Whittingham said. “He’s done a heckuva job in Logan, and I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of people come calling.”
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: @DirkFacer
- Ranking the best NBA players to ever come out...
- BYU basketball: Confident San Francisco...
- Former Lone Peak center Justin Hamilton makes...
- 15 lessons learned from a BYU rugby game
- Photo story: What teenagers taught me at the...
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San Francisco...
- Basketball bonds: Hoops have tied Utah star...
- Utah Jazz: Boos for Paul Millsap?...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 73
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes eager to... 29
- BYU basketball: Bottom seed LMU knocks... 26
- Krystkowiak asks Runnin' Utes to stay... 24
- Utah basketball: Regular-season finale... 24
- High school boys basketball: Lone Peak... 20