OGDEN — A man found dead following a standoff with Ogden police died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound, the Weber County Attorney's Office announced Wednesday.
Aaron Matthew Collier, 35, was found dead inside a house in the 100 block of 4th Street early Sunday. Collier "died from a single gunshot to his head. The gunshot wound was self-inflicted," Weber County Attorney Dee Smith said in a prepared statement.
Police were originally called to the house on a domestic dispute. Stacee Chivers called 911 "distraught and crying" about 2:30 a.m. Sunday, Smith said, and requested police help.
While officers were in the house talking to Chivers, without warning "a handgun appeared from around a door and began firing at them," according to the county attorney's statement. Collier fired seven shots at the officers who returned an undisclosed number of rounds, Smith said.
One of the officers' shots hit Collier in the leg, but did not cause fatal injuries, Smith said. After officers got out of the house, the Ogden Metro SWAT team was called to surround the residence. During the ensuing standoff, Collier texted a friend. Ogden Police Lt. Danielle Croyal declined Wednesday to comment on whom Collier was texting, what he was saying or whether he gave any indication to the person he was communicating with that he was going to commit suicide.
After negotiations with Collier failed, SWAT members eventually entered the house. They found Collier dead inside, Smith said.
The officers involved in the shooting remained on standard paid administrative leave Wednesday. Smith said additional details will be released when the investigation into the incident is completed.
- 2-year-old boy dies from accidental shooting...
- Tabernacle Choir performs Handel's 'Messiah'...
- Salt Lake City Marathon comes with many...
- Police make arrest in death of 59-year-old...
- Western states to feds: Turn over public lands
- Film about man's crusade against child sex...
- Top 10 spring activities for Utah families
- Students test interactive experiences ahead...
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 90
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite... 78
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases... 47
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 38
- Appeals judges question right to sue in... 27
- Autopsies of 7 infants completed;... 24
- Texas seizes FLDS Church's secluded ranch 23
- 2-year-old boy dies from accidental... 14