OGDEN — A man found dead following a standoff with Ogden police died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound, the Weber County Attorney's Office announced Wednesday.
Aaron Matthew Collier, 35, was found dead inside a house in the 100 block of 4th Street early Sunday. Collier "died from a single gunshot to his head. The gunshot wound was self-inflicted," Weber County Attorney Dee Smith said in a prepared statement.
Police were originally called to the house on a domestic dispute. Stacee Chivers called 911 "distraught and crying" about 2:30 a.m. Sunday, Smith said, and requested police help.
While officers were in the house talking to Chivers, without warning "a handgun appeared from around a door and began firing at them," according to the county attorney's statement. Collier fired seven shots at the officers who returned an undisclosed number of rounds, Smith said.
One of the officers' shots hit Collier in the leg, but did not cause fatal injuries, Smith said. After officers got out of the house, the Ogden Metro SWAT team was called to surround the residence. During the ensuing standoff, Collier texted a friend. Ogden Police Lt. Danielle Croyal declined Wednesday to comment on whom Collier was texting, what he was saying or whether he gave any indication to the person he was communicating with that he was going to commit suicide.
After negotiations with Collier failed, SWAT members eventually entered the house. They found Collier dead inside, Smith said.
The officers involved in the shooting remained on standard paid administrative leave Wednesday. Smith said additional details will be released when the investigation into the incident is completed.
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- LDS missionary 'stable' following hit-and-run...
- A firsthand perspective: Reflecting on the...
- Mitt Romney to live in Utah — at least...
- Utah facing $1.2 billion-dollar water...
- Utah soldier presumed dead in Afghanistan
- LDS missionary from Sweden suffers aneurysm,...
- Members recall Sister Monson's quiet devotion
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet,... 62
- Mitt Romney to live in Utah — at... 45
- Police say driver who hit 3 children... 27
- Angry Orrin Hatch: IRS guilty of... 19
- Utah GOP convention agenda includes... 19
- Attorney General John Swallow says he's... 16
- Mormon missionary age announcement... 14
- Angelina Jolie announcement leads to... 12