Utah high school football: Titans send dynamic defense up against 'Diggers' explosive offense
“They’re a good defense. We run to the ball; they like to run to the ball, too. Their offense might overshadow them a little bit; they’re still a good ‘D,” but I think we’re the best ‘D,’ " Call said. "You’ve always got to think you’re the best to be the best, just be confident in yourself."
Junior strong safety Colton Chadwick, who filled in when Fonua couldn't go last week, said that experience helped him shake his pregame jitters.
“I’m not too nervous now," he said. "I was pretty nervous going in last week, but now I’ve got some experience, I think I’ll be ready. Our whole defense will be ready.
“They look like they’ve got some playmakers on offense; they’ve got a great run game and they've got a good running back, but I think our defense can handle ‘em. We’ve got to get turnovers and make a bunch of great defensive plays."
The feisty, determined German, all 5-foot-10 and 180 pounds of him (after a real big dinner) summed up the matchup this way:
“I’ve been looking forward to this since the season started," he said. "I thought Jordan’s gonna be a great team, we’re a great team, and I hope to see ‘em in the finals and then everybody can see a great game. And it’ll be a great game.
"I saw it coming a long way. They’ve got potential; we’ve got potential. It’s gonna be great players against great players. It’s gonna come down to the fourth quarter, I bet.”
Of course, there's that old saying about "defense wins championships."
Syracuse sure hopes it's true, and Titans head coach Russ Jones says, "That's what you hear. We'll see if it pans out.
"They're really good, they are. They're really, really good," he said of the Beetdiggers. "Kafentzis and Moss are great players, and their linemen are big.
"But we've got a d--- good defense, as good as we've ever had. So I guess we'll find out on Friday."
Yep, the irresistible force and the immovable object are on a collision course, and something's gotta give. On Friday at 2:30 p.m. in Rice-Eccles Stadium, we'll find out which one.
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU downs BYU...
- Records fall as BYU, Chase Fischer shoot past...
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants freshmen to...
- High school boys basketball: 5A team-by-team...
- Red and Blue Recruits: BYU's new commit gets...
- BYU basketball instant analysis: There are...
- 4A boys basketball for 2014-15 season
- Rock On: Bronco misses the mark, Utes given...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 159
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 93
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 63
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 43
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 42
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 40
- For BYU, it's not about opponent... 32
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 30