They're dedicated to theater and to sharing their talents with others, but they're also dedicated to making each other happy.
Jan was 41 when she married Andy, who is 14 years younger. She waited until she was sure she had found what she wanted in a husband, someone who could make her laugh and who would marry her in the LDS temple.
Andy says, "If I wasn't married to Jan, my wife would be really jealous because she and I are best friends."
As a couple, the two face major challenges in addition to both being involved in drama.
They have the age difference to deal with as well as infertility. They lost a newborn son several years ago just minutes after birth.
But they're far from discouraged or bitter. In fact, they are upbeat, open and generous with advice and friendship. They're focused on each other and what they can contribute to the world.
"Our situation is unique in the LDS Church. I'm hoping my issues with infertility and being single for so long can inspire others to reach toward education and a higher power, whatever that may be, and remind us all to teach our kids, and other people's kids, to do the same," Jan writes on her blog, other-peoples-kids.blogspot.com.
"I think what we have is just great," Andy said. "We have two creative minds here. She's a director. I'm an actor. She's an artistic director. I'm a teacher. It's sort of the natural order of things.
"We're best friends first and we're best friends at the end of the day."
If you go:
What: "Legally Blonde, The Musical"
Where: Salt Lake School for the Performing Arts, 2291 S. 2000 East
When: 7:30 p.m., Nov. 15-17
Cost: Tickets are $15 at the door or call 801-466-6700
Sharon Haddock is a professional writer with 35 years experience, 17 at the Deseret News. Her personal blog is at sharonhaddock.blogspot.com.
- Pistorius shown in TV interview ahead of...
- BET Awards full of Prince tributes and...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Life, choices and...
- 'Resurgence' is a weak payoff for fans of...
- West Jordan announces road closures for 4th...
- Hale Center Theater Orem to stage 'Xanadu' to...
- Renovation Solutions: Tips for choosing an...
- ‘Project (Un)Popular’ explores...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Life, choices... 2
- 'Resurgence' is a weak payoff for fans... 2
- BET Awards full of Prince tributes and... 1
- Book review: 'Conspiracy at Carthage'... 1
- Pistorius shown in TV interview ahead... 0
- West Jordan announces road closures for... 0
- Hale Center Theater Orem to stage... 0
- Renovation Solutions: Tips for choosing... 0