They're dedicated to theater and to sharing their talents with others, but they're also dedicated to making each other happy.
Jan was 41 when she married Andy, who is 14 years younger. She waited until she was sure she had found what she wanted in a husband, someone who could make her laugh and who would marry her in the LDS temple.
Andy says, "If I wasn't married to Jan, my wife would be really jealous because she and I are best friends."
As a couple, the two face major challenges in addition to both being involved in drama.
They have the age difference to deal with as well as infertility. They lost a newborn son several years ago just minutes after birth.
But they're far from discouraged or bitter. In fact, they are upbeat, open and generous with advice and friendship. They're focused on each other and what they can contribute to the world.
"Our situation is unique in the LDS Church. I'm hoping my issues with infertility and being single for so long can inspire others to reach toward education and a higher power, whatever that may be, and remind us all to teach our kids, and other people's kids, to do the same," Jan writes on her blog, other-peoples-kids.blogspot.com.
"I think what we have is just great," Andy said. "We have two creative minds here. She's a director. I'm an actor. She's an artistic director. I'm a teacher. It's sort of the natural order of things.
"We're best friends first and we're best friends at the end of the day."
If you go:
What: "Legally Blonde, The Musical"
Where: Salt Lake School for the Performing Arts, 2291 S. 2000 East
When: 7:30 p.m., Nov. 15-17
Cost: Tickets are $15 at the door or call 801-466-6700
Sharon Haddock is a professional writer with 35 years experience, 17 at the Deseret News. Her personal blog is at sharonhaddock.blogspot.com.
- 'Sound of Music' hit a high note for family...
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday...
- Netflix has a different take on modern...
- Tabernacle hosts annual LDS Latino Christmas...
- 'Sound of Music' alive for 18.5 million viewers
- 4 recently released LDS picture books
- Tips for LDS bloggers from the 'ultimate...
- TV Review: Broadway wins in live 'Sound of...
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday... 15
- TV Review: Broadway wins in live 'Sound... 12
- 'Sound of Music' alive for 18.5 million... 12
- 'Sound of Music' hit a high note for... 8
- The Killers collaborates with Owen... 7
- Saving Africa? New book casts harsh... 6
- Tips for LDS bloggers from the... 6
- Faith sustained author through... 5