OREM, Utah — Utah Valley University 149-pound senior Josh Wilson (Morgan, Utah/Morgan HS) has been named the Western Wrestling Conference Wrestler of the Week. The conference honor was announced Tuesday by the league.
Wilson, who was ranked 18th by InterMat last week, began his season by winning the 149-pound title at NC State's Wolfpack Open on Sunday.
UVU's lone returning NCAA Qualifier went a perfect 5-0 en route to his title. Wilson began his day with a 10-1 major decision over Matt Buckworth (unattached). He then defeated Campbell's Cory Wagner (8-1), Appalachian State's Dylan Cottrell (4-2) and Virginia's Gus Sako, a 2012 NCAA Qualifer, (5-1) to reach the finals. In the title bout, Wilson then topped North Carolina's Christian Barber by decision, 3-1.
A day earlier, he helped UVU pick up its first dual victory of the season as he defeated Campbell's Ryan Krecker by medical forfeit for six team points in a 32-6 Wolverine rout.
Wilson is off to a strong start during his senior campaign as he is now 6-1. The weekly award was his first of the season and his first of his career.
The Western Wrestling Conference, which is in its seventh year of competition, is comprised of six schools including the Air Force Academy, North Dakota State, Northern Colorado, South Dakota State, Utah Valley and Wyoming.
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com.
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very little
- Felt's Facts Week 2: Utah high school...
- College football predictions: How will... 140
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 60
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 48
- Utah football: Utes eye successful start 42