OREM, Utah — Utah Valley University 149-pound senior Josh Wilson (Morgan, Utah/Morgan HS) has been named the Western Wrestling Conference Wrestler of the Week. The conference honor was announced Tuesday by the league.
Wilson, who was ranked 18th by InterMat last week, began his season by winning the 149-pound title at NC State's Wolfpack Open on Sunday.
UVU's lone returning NCAA Qualifier went a perfect 5-0 en route to his title. Wilson began his day with a 10-1 major decision over Matt Buckworth (unattached). He then defeated Campbell's Cory Wagner (8-1), Appalachian State's Dylan Cottrell (4-2) and Virginia's Gus Sako, a 2012 NCAA Qualifer, (5-1) to reach the finals. In the title bout, Wilson then topped North Carolina's Christian Barber by decision, 3-1.
A day earlier, he helped UVU pick up its first dual victory of the season as he defeated Campbell's Ryan Krecker by medical forfeit for six team points in a 32-6 Wolverine rout.
Wilson is off to a strong start during his senior campaign as he is now 6-1. The weekly award was his first of the season and his first of his career.
The Western Wrestling Conference, which is in its seventh year of competition, is comprised of six schools including the Air Force Academy, North Dakota State, Northern Colorado, South Dakota State, Utah Valley and Wyoming.
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com.
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule...
- Former Ute center Dallin Bachynski impresses...
- Salt Lake Olympic scandal 'set a precedent'...
- New Lone Peak basketball coach David Evans...
- Utah Jazz: Fate turned former walk-on, NCAA...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 82
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 49
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 48
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 48
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 23
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 21
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 13
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8