SALT LAKE CITY — Gas prices in Utah are the sixth highest in the country, according to Utah AAA.
At $3.71 a gallon, pump prices in the Beehive State are also the fourth highest in the 48 contiguous states. Only Alaska, California, Connecticut, Hawaii and New York have higher prices.
The average price for a gallon of regular gasoline in Utah dropped 4 cents from last month. All Utah cities that AAA tracks reported lower gas prices than a month ago.
Meanwhile, the national average price dropped 38 cents from last month to $3.44 per gallon. Hawaii recorded the highest average price at $4.19, while drivers in Missouri enjoyed the lowest average price at $3.10 a gallon.
The 38 cent drop brings the national average within 2 cents of gas prices a year ago, said Rolayne Fairclough, AAA Utah spokeswoman.
"This drop was even more significant with the infrastructure disruptions and gasoline rationing resulting from (superstorm) Sandy," Fairclough said.
The aftermath of superstorm Sandy pushed prices up in New Jersey and New York, as power outages and distribution systems shut down.
AAA estimates that 70 percent to 75 percent of fuel stations in New York City and 80 percent to 85 percent of those in New Jersey are back in operation, with the vast majority of supply terminals also restored. New Jersey announced that gasoline rationing ended at 6 a.m. Tuesday.
"The change from summer to winter formulation, the decrease in seasonal driving and the lower price of crude oil are major components in the dramatic drop in the national average price," Fairclough explained. "The national average price should continue to move lower as distribution issues caused by Sandy are solved."
- Man admits raping, killing young Ogden girl...
- Autopsies of 7 infants completed; police...
- 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' cast...
- Crowds to flock to Salt Lake City this weekend
- Salt Lake Marathon changes owners, course and...
- Salt Lake's record-setting convention kicks...
- Texas seizes FLDS Church's secluded ranch
- Theater preview: Pioneer Theatre raises...
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration 106
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 88
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite... 74
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases... 47
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 38
- Appeals judges question right to sue in... 25
- Doug Robinson: The first kiss and the... 24
- Mom accused of killing 6 newborns held... 24