Utah House Democrats name Rep. Jen Seelig as minority leader
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah House Democrats have elected the state's first woman minority leader, Rep. Jen Seelig, D-Salt Lake.
Seelig, who had been minority whip, replaces retiring House Minority Leader David Litvack, D-Salt Lake, who did not seek re-election to the Legislature.
She will serve in the 2013 and 2014 Legislatures with House Speaker Becky Lockhart, R-Provo, the first woman to hold that post. House Republicans re-elected Lockhart to a second term last week.
"We have a dynamic and dedicated team committed to fighting for the well-being of our constituents and for the state of Utah," Seelig said, adding that the House Democrats "are anxious to get to work with our Republican colleagues and work out bipartisan legislation that reflects the needs of those we represent."
Democrats also selected Rep. Tim Cosgrove, D-Murray, as minority whip; Rep. Rebecca Chavez-Houck, D-Salt Lake, as assistant minority whip; and Rep. Joel Briscoe, D-Salt Lake, as minority caucus manager.
Utah Senate Democrats have yet to set a date for leadership elections. Salt Lake County Democratic delegates in District 2 still need to replace Salt Lake County Mayor-elect Ben McAdams, who had two years remaining in his state Senate term.
McAdams announced Tuesday he was resigning the seat he has held since 2009 effective midnight Jan. 7.
In his letter of resignation to outgoing Senate President Michael Waddoups, R-Taylorsville, McAdams said his "association with the senators and representatives has been wonderful, and I look forward to a continued association and hope that our paths will cross again in some capacity."
- Parade spectators celebrate pioneers past and...
- A photographic look back at the Days of '47...
- Draper house explodes into flames (+videos)
- Head-on collision kills 2, injures 3 in Eagle...
- Student attitudes changing on healthy school...
- Rare cancer treatment leaves Provo teen hopeful
- Missouri hiker found dead in hot Wayne County...
- See what the pioneers thought, felt as they...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 46
- Union Pacific train makes special... 15
- Renewable energy advocates decry... 15
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed... 14
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake... 14
- Protesters from across U.S. arrested at... 13
- 'No trespassing' sign may not stop... 13
- New solar panels are symbol of the... 11