High school football: Offensive lineman Jayden Maughan epitomizes Mountain Crest attitude
Maughan isn't the only undersized player representing the Mustangs on the football field. Troy Netzley, a senior linebacker who is about 5-foot-8 and weighs about 160 pounds (with pads on), is another.
"He's earned the right to play that position," Wootton said of Netzley. "He's put in a lot of time to where he's fast and strong. He's very undersized for the position he plays, but the way he scores TDs is crazy."
Netzley has scored four touchdowns as a defensive player this season, which is his only season as a starter. "He's got four when just one in a year for a defensive player would be good," said Wootton. "It seems like he's always in the right place at the right time."
Netzley smiles when asked if he thinks he could start for the team the Mustangs will face in the 4A state championship game Friday — Timpview.
"Maybe," he said. "I don’t know what they base their starters on. But most teams are bigger than us. It's how we play. We use our speed and our team. We're small, fast and we have good team unity."
Hall said guys like Maughan and Netzley are a metaphor for what the Mustangs achieve as a team. "We're all small, but we don’t' care," said Hall. "We'll go against anybody. They're big, but not even the biggest we've faced."
- Gordon Hayward agrees to terms with...
- Good first impression for Utah Jazz rookie...
- Vai's View: Harvey Langi hopes to transfer...
- BYU football: Box Elder's Riley Burt commits...
- Doug Robinson: NBA free agency is entirely...
- Graphic: What would happen if the Jazz match...
- BYU football: 10 players to buy stock in
- BYU football: 10 players poised for breakout...
- Vai's View: Harvey Langi hopes to... 255
- BYU-Utah rated nation's 12th-best... 102
- Gordon Hayward agrees to terms with... 57
- Brad Rock: What Gordon Hayward needs to... 32
- 4 Utah college football players named... 28
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Robert Anae likes... 27
- BYU football: Box Elder's Riley Burt... 24
- Fourth of July surprise! Steve Novak... 14