Former BYU quarterback Jake Heaps using 2012 season to improve
Tom Smart, Deseret News
After getting benched halfway through the 2011 season in favor of current Cougar starter Riley Nelson, Heaps quickly chose to transfer to Kansas. But in doing so, he was forced to sit out the 2012 season, as per NCAA transfer rules.
In the meantime, the Jayhawks have struggled in a reloaded Big 12 conference. Incumbent starter Dayne Crist, formerly of Notre Dame, was benched earlier this season, and the 1-9 Jayhawks are currently muddling along with redshirt freshman Michael Cummings at the helm.
"Jake is very, very frustrated," Kansas coach Charlie Weis told KUSports.com. "He's frustrated that he can't help."
As a freshman at BYU, Heaps battled for playing time with Nelson until the latter was injured. Heaps tallied 2,316 yards and 15 touchdowns and helped the Cougars to a 7-6 record.
Heaps entered 2011 as the undisputed starter, but his inconsistent play, most notably in a 54-10 loss to archrival Utah, led to his benching. Nelson reclaimed the starting job after he led the Cougars to a comeback win over Utah State.
A five-star recruit coming out of high school in Washington, Heaps has yet to live up to his potential. But he told KUSports.com that he's doing the best he can with his transfer year:
"As much as I am frustrated that I want to be out there, I know this is helping me improve as a player," he said. "Me sitting out has made me a much better player than I (would be) if I was to play right now."
Email: lshumway@desnews; Twitter: TheShums
- 2015 Heisman Trophy tracker, preseason...
- The Utah football 100: Ranking the best...
- High school football roundup for Friday, Aug. 28
- BYU football: With opener one week away,...
- Friday night lights: Live coverage of the...
- BYU basketball: What we learned from 4 games...
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU best-case,...
- Video: BYU commit Jaren Hall lifts Maple...
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 78
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 61
- BYU football: Lone Peak's Jackson... 31
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 30
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new... 28
- Morning links: Utes are the Pac-12's 'X... 27
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU... 25
- Doug Robinson: No days off on Utes'... 24