Jimmer Watch: Sacramento to find more minutes for Jimmer Fredette
SACRAMENTO, Calif. — Jimmer Fredette's NBA career has been a frustrating one for Cougar fans and undoubtedly for Jimmer himself so far. The former BYU great was relegated to scrub backup duty through most of last season and has scarcely left the bench through seven games this season, but his role may be increasing.
Fredette logged just 11 minutes in Sunday's 103-90 loss to the Los Angeles Lakers, but provided 18 points on 7-9 shooting and 3-5 shooting from 3-point range. His performance warranted praise from his head coach Keith Smart.
“I have to make minutes for him on the floor right now,” Smart told the media following Sunday's loss. “He’s just too positive right now in what he’s doing. He’s kept a perfect attitude the whole time and I have to find ways to make sure he’s on the floor.”
Fredette has seen playing time in five of seven games and is averaging just 8.3 minutes. He's done the most with those minutes, however, and is averaging 9.3 points per game on .650 shooting from the field and .556 shooting from 3-point range.
“He’s not going into tight spots like he did last year,” said Smart before Sunday's game. “I just think he wasn’t aware of what to do in the NBA last year. Things went so fast last year from (preseason, which was) not even a week for the most part and then right into an NBA season — no training camp, no summer league.”
We'll be following Fredette's performance and provide weekly updates throughout the year.
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very little
- Felt's Facts Week 2: Utah high school...
- College football predictions: How will... 140
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 60
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 48
- Utah football: Utes eye successful start 42