Jimmer Watch: Sacramento to find more minutes for Jimmer Fredette
SACRAMENTO, Calif. — Jimmer Fredette's NBA career has been a frustrating one for Cougar fans and undoubtedly for Jimmer himself so far. The former BYU great was relegated to scrub backup duty through most of last season and has scarcely left the bench through seven games this season, but his role may be increasing.
Fredette logged just 11 minutes in Sunday's 103-90 loss to the Los Angeles Lakers, but provided 18 points on 7-9 shooting and 3-5 shooting from 3-point range. His performance warranted praise from his head coach Keith Smart.
“I have to make minutes for him on the floor right now,” Smart told the media following Sunday's loss. “He’s just too positive right now in what he’s doing. He’s kept a perfect attitude the whole time and I have to find ways to make sure he’s on the floor.”
Fredette has seen playing time in five of seven games and is averaging just 8.3 minutes. He's done the most with those minutes, however, and is averaging 9.3 points per game on .650 shooting from the field and .556 shooting from 3-point range.
“He’s not going into tight spots like he did last year,” said Smart before Sunday's game. “I just think he wasn’t aware of what to do in the NBA last year. Things went so fast last year from (preseason, which was) not even a week for the most part and then right into an NBA season — no training camp, no summer league.”
We'll be following Fredette's performance and provide weekly updates throughout the year.
- Ezekiel Ansah unveils his Turkey Dance...
- BYU football: Cougar defense confident it can...
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's season of...
- BYU deals with tough overtime losses at Maui...
- BYU football: Both BYU and Cal have lots to...
- Utes vow not to look past Buffaloes
- Linebacker Jared Norris is quietly leading...
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an athlete,...
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 66
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 48
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 47
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 38
- Utes on the verge of a winning Pac-12... 30
- Cougars fall short again in 87-85 loss... 28
- Ogden attorney sues Weber School... 28
- Utah lands three-star RB commit and... 25