BYU tennis: Junior Travis Fillmore advances in consolation bracket
LOS ANGELES – Junior Travis Fillmore won in the final match of the qualifying back draw of the Southern California Intercollegiate Championships at UCLA’s campus on Saturday.
Fillmore first topped Othar Kordsachia from Loyola Marymount, 6-3, 6-1 to advance to the final round of the back draw. He then defeated UCSD’s Horea Poritiu, 6-4, 3-6, 10-7 to claim the victory in the consolation bracket.
“The tournament was a great way to finish the fall season,” BYU head coach Brad Pearce said. “I was proud of the way our guys performed individually and as a whole.”
This tournament featured 10 point tie breaks, which awards a victory to the first player to score 10 points and win by two.
The Cougars will open the regular season by hosting Weber State on Jan. 11.
Aaron Sorenson is the tennis sports information director at BYU.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 39
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 34
- Morning links: Utah running back's goal... 30
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 25
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 23
- Badger looking to become part of BYU's... 22
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21