BYU tennis: Junior Travis Fillmore advances in consolation bracket
LOS ANGELES – Junior Travis Fillmore won in the final match of the qualifying back draw of the Southern California Intercollegiate Championships at UCLA’s campus on Saturday.
Fillmore first topped Othar Kordsachia from Loyola Marymount, 6-3, 6-1 to advance to the final round of the back draw. He then defeated UCSD’s Horea Poritiu, 6-4, 3-6, 10-7 to claim the victory in the consolation bracket.
“The tournament was a great way to finish the fall season,” BYU head coach Brad Pearce said. “I was proud of the way our guys performed individually and as a whole.”
This tournament featured 10 point tie breaks, which awards a victory to the first player to score 10 points and win by two.
The Cougars will open the regular season by hosting Weber State on Jan. 11.
Aaron Sorenson is the tennis sports information director at BYU.
- Utah Jazz: A look at each player's contract...
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- Salt Lake marathon is first win for Lehi...
- Utah's second spring scrimmage is 'a dead heat'
- Optimism abounds for the Utah Jazz's future
- Utah gymnastics: Red Rocks finish second to...
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches
- BYU rugby cruises past Central Washington,...
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 76
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 33
- Rose still has lofty goals for BYU's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 26
- Mountain West Conference announces... 22
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches 17
- 3 Utes, 1 Aggie and 1 Cougar selected... 14