BYU tennis: Junior Travis Fillmore advances in consolation bracket
LOS ANGELES – Junior Travis Fillmore won in the final match of the qualifying back draw of the Southern California Intercollegiate Championships at UCLA’s campus on Saturday.
Fillmore first topped Othar Kordsachia from Loyola Marymount, 6-3, 6-1 to advance to the final round of the back draw. He then defeated UCSD’s Horea Poritiu, 6-4, 3-6, 10-7 to claim the victory in the consolation bracket.
“The tournament was a great way to finish the fall season,” BYU head coach Brad Pearce said. “I was proud of the way our guys performed individually and as a whole.”
This tournament featured 10 point tie breaks, which awards a victory to the first player to score 10 points and win by two.
The Cougars will open the regular season by hosting Weber State on Jan. 11.
Aaron Sorenson is the tennis sports information director at BYU.
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars looms...
- BYU-Memphis an 'intriguing' bowl matchup
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Gordon Hayward happy to be moving on with...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Miami Beach Bowl live coverage: BYU vs....
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- Cougars gain a lot over Final Four weekend...
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 55
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Brad Rock: This is where conference... 36
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 35
- Miami Beach Bowl live coverage: BYU vs.... 35
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars... 26