BYU tennis: Junior Travis Fillmore advances in consolation bracket
LOS ANGELES – Junior Travis Fillmore won in the final match of the qualifying back draw of the Southern California Intercollegiate Championships at UCLA’s campus on Saturday.
Fillmore first topped Othar Kordsachia from Loyola Marymount, 6-3, 6-1 to advance to the final round of the back draw. He then defeated UCSD’s Horea Poritiu, 6-4, 3-6, 10-7 to claim the victory in the consolation bracket.
“The tournament was a great way to finish the fall season,” BYU head coach Brad Pearce said. “I was proud of the way our guys performed individually and as a whole.”
This tournament featured 10 point tie breaks, which awards a victory to the first player to score 10 points and win by two.
The Cougars will open the regular season by hosting Weber State on Jan. 11.
Aaron Sorenson is the tennis sports information director at BYU.
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 48
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 41
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 36
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26