TEMPE, Ariz. – After two days of individual tournament competition, players from the BYU women’s tennis team tallied seven total wins at the Arizona State Thunderbird Invitational this weekend.
“The girls fought hard this weekend against some touch competition,” BYU head coach Lauren Jones-Spencer said. “Doubles went really well. Our teams keep getting stronger each match we play.”
On Friday, doubles partners sophomore Meghan Sheehan-Dizon and junior Desiree Tran defeated their first opponents Idil Haciraifoglu and Alexandra Victorsson from San Diego, 8-4. The team then barely lost their match Saturday to Fidan Manashirova and Kara Cecil from Ohio State, 9-8.
The other doubles team of freshman Mackenna Maddox and sophomore Morgan Anderson lost on Friday against Arizona State’s Nikki Smith and Stephanie Vlad, 8-4. The duo won their match Saturday, topping Kelly Chi and Alice Duranteau from Cal, 8-5.
In singles play, Maddox topped Joanna Smith from Arizona State, 6-3, 6-3 in the first round. In the Round of 16, Maddox was edged out by Michigan’s Ronit Yurovsky, 6-1, 7-6 (3).
Anderson fell to Vlad, 6-0, 6-3, in the main draw but then won her next three matches to advance to the semifinals of the consolation bracket.
The Cougars start regular season play on Jan. 19 against Weber State.
Aaron Sorenson is the tennis sports information director at BYU.
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars looms...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- BYU-Memphis an 'intriguing' bowl matchup
- BYU coach Shawn Olmstead provided calming...
- Dick Harmon: Execution, not words, will crown...
- Penn State sweeps BYU for a record seventh...
- BYU's seniors know trip won't be complete...
- Cougars gain a lot over Final Four weekend...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 62
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Penn State sweeps BYU for a record... 19
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off... 19
- Miracle Bowl, 34 years later: I don't... 17
- Stewart has brought back an identity... 16