Dixie State football: Wildcats claw to league title with win over Storm
ELLENSBURG, Wash. – For the second straight year, the Dixie State College football team saw its regular season come to an end in cold and blustery conditions at Tomlinson Stadium. After overnight snow cleared off the natural grass surface, the host Wildcats cruised to a 51-19 victory over the Red Storm and claimed, at worse, a share of the 2012 Great Northwest Athletic Conference football title.
The Wildcats (7-4, 7-3 GNAC) were led by a 192-yard, three-touchdown performance from freshman running back Jordan Todd and a solid game from senior quarterback Ryan Robertson. He missed on just one pass, going 18-of-19 for 249 yards and three touchdown passes.
Dixie State’s (3-8, 3-7 GNAC) offense saw three different signal callers during the season finale and each added had a touchdown pass. Junior quarterback Griff Robles went 9-of-23 for 150 yards, including a touchdown to Zack Fox in the first quarter.
Kaleo Nawahine fired his touchdown strike to Mitch Frei midway in the fourth quarter for eight yards. Brody Garr saw his first action in the offense in the Storm’s final drive and connected with Brock Johnson on a screen pass for an 18-yard score. Even wide receiver Conor Sklarsky completed a pass on a double reverse for 17 yards to Robles in the third quarter.
Freshman backer Myles Burton had 50 yards on nine carries, accouting for half the team’s rushing output.
Cache Morgan closed his collegiate career with 13 tackles, 10 of them solo for the DSC defense. Freshman Caleb McCray had one of his best games totaling seven stops.
Central outgained Dixie State 480-333 in total yardage and used a balanced attack all day (226 rush, 254 pass).
John Potter is the "Voice of the Red Storm" and an athletic media relation assistant at Dixie State College. Contact him at Potter@dixie.edu.
- Former longtime Utah Jazz broadcaster Hot Rod...
- BYU players work out at Pro Day in hopes of...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes as...
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans in...
- BYU football hosts 'Friday Night Lights'...
- Runnin' Utes take on Duke in Texas-sized venue
- Utah football: Booker's return lifts offense,...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Dallin Bachynski delivers...
- Utes to face Duke in the Sweet 16... 207
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 67
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill is making a... 31
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 27
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- It's Coach K vs. Coach K as Utah... 22
- Ogden chooses to play as an independent... 21