Linsey Craig, UVU Athletics
NAPERVILLE, Ill. - Utah Valley University has been selected by the coaches to win the 2012-13 Great West Conference women's basketball championship.
The Wolverines received four first-place votes in the balloting for a total of 24 points.
UVU finished tied for second in the Great West last season with NJIT as each team posted 6-4 marks in conference play. The Highlanders were second in the preseason polling, garnering 19 points and picking up the other first-place vote.
Utah Valley coach Cathy Nixon will look to the reigning Great West Conference Player of the Year Sammie Jensen to lead her squad. Jensen averaged a double-double of 13.4 points and 10.1 rebounds per game last year, earning 15 double-doubles during the season. In addition to first-team All-GWC honors, the senior was also named to the GWC All-Tournament team after leading her team to the championship game.
Jenkins was an honorable mention All-GWC selection last season after averaging 6.1 ppg, while Cardwell shot 41.2 percent from 3-point range.
NJIT finished second in the poll with one first-place vote and a total of 19 points in the preseason poll. Texas-Pan American was projected to finish third in the poll with 14 points, while Chicago State was fourth with 11 and Houston Baptist fifth with seven.
The Wolverines will host Utah State on Monday at 7 p.m. in the UCCU Center. UVU will then begin its quest for a Great West Conference Championship on Jan. 5 at home against UTPA.
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com.
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- 'Vive la France': Chris Froome makes...
- Busch turns weekend into clean sweep with...
- Larry Stone: Ken Griffey Jr.’s...
- Kevin Durant leads US to second exhibition...
- Athletes using sports platforms to push for...
- NFL clears Peyton Manning of HGH allegations
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 105
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 62
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 56
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 54
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 43
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 16