American Airlines nearly terminates 10,000 pensions, freezes them instead
Mary Altaffer, Associated Press
American Airlines plans to freeze pension plans for its 10,000 pilots, which stops any funds from accruing for the employees towards their retirement, according to the Dallas Morning News.
Before deciding to freeze the pensions, American Airlines considered terminating them altogether. Employees would have seen cuts in their pensions upon retiring if the plans were terminated.
“The freeze will preserve our pilots’ accrued A Plan benefits and will require continued plan funding,” the Allied Pilots Association, the union for American Airlines pilots, told the Dallas Morning News. “The APA leadership has consistently expressed support for a plan freeze versus plan termination, with APA Government Affairs Committee representatives actively lobbying in favor of amending the ‘anti-cutback’ rules.”
American only agreed to a freeze rather than a termination after the U.S. Treasury and the IRS eliminated a clause that allowed employees to take their pensions in a lump sum.
“As we’ve said since March, we are committed to working collaboratively with the Allied Pilots Association, Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation and Unsecured Creditors’ Committee to develop a solution that maintains the freeze of our pilot defined benefit plan,” Bruce Hicks, a spokesman for American Airlines, told the Dallas Morning News.
- PacSun pulls T-shirt from shelves after...
- More jobs are available, but new grads are...
- How strict should parents really be?
- Balancing act: Does parenting bring...
- The 10 best cities in America for job seekers...
- Derek B. Miller: Politics may end up costing...
- Dave Ramsey says: Build your budget together
- 'Such a stress reliever': In Rhode Island,...
- Clinton: GOP threatening small-business... 19
- Derek B. Miller: Politics may end up... 15
- 'Such a stress reliever': In Rhode... 13
- Democrats see skimpy insurance as the... 11
- Why many experts missed this: Cheap oil... 7
- PacSun pulls T-shirt from shelves after... 7
- Utah jobless rate holds steady at 3.4... 5
- How strict should parents really be? 5