A traditional Southern favorite that comes to life from my late-season garden
Ever since I moved to the country, I’ve become more aware of the life going on around me. I love watching the deer, birds and other wildlife, and I see the land as a provider of so many things. My garden is my pride and joy. It provides vegetables, fruits and flowers as well as my own special type of mental health. I call it dirt therapy.
Now that cooler weather is here and the nights have frozen the life out of my garden, I scramble to harvest the last of what is still viable. One of the most wonderful things to emerge is my huge beefsteak tomatoes that are still dense and completely green.
Most people would be disappointed that those tomatoes didn’t reach their peak, but not me. They are perfect for one of my favorite Southern dishes — Fried Green Tomatoes.
The flavor and texture is a combination of sweet, salty and crunchy. They are perfect for a side dish or a light meal. Slice some up and you’ll see how quick these unripe beauties disappear.
Belle’s Fried Green Tomatoes
4 large green tomatoes, sliced ½ inch thick
½ cup corn meal
½ cup seasoned bread crumbs
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon dried parsley
½ cup milk
Vegetable oil for frying
Mix together the corn meal, bread crumbs and seasonings. In another bowl beat the egg and whisk in the milk. Heat the oil to medium high in large fry pan. Dredge tomato slices in egg mixture and then in crumb mixture. Fry until golden brown on each side. Remove to paper towel-covered plates to remove excess grease.
Brenda Stanley is the mother of five children, including two sets of
twins, and a grandmother of three. She is a cookbook author and
novelist. Her website is at talesofthedinnerbelle.com.
- 'Duck Dynasty' daughter sticks to Christian...
- Utah family adopts 2 newborns 6 weeks apart
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- The Clean Cut: Lindsey Stirling visits the...
- Disney and Pixar movie quiz: 25 quotes from...
- Utah families share tragic stories of teens...
- Work of two Utah students featured in...
- Should a woman take her husband's name?...
- 'Duck Dynasty' daughter sticks to... 12
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge... 8
- This type of high school can increase... 7
- It's 2014: Are all our schools... 5
- Can too many dating options be a... 5
- Watch: Wheatley conference on family 5
- Denver parents told to watch out for... 4
- Mom calls out Toys R Us for selling... 4