BYU tennis: No. 5 Pearce wins before rain delays affect tournament
LOS ANGELES – Rain delays kept several Cougars from finishing their matches but not before freshman tennis player John Pearce, who entered the Southern California Intercollegiate Championships as a No. 5 seed, won his first match Thursday, 6-0, 6-2, at UCLA’s campus.
Sophomores Francis Sargeant and Keaton Cullimore both had their matches interrupted by untimely rain. When his game was called, Sargeant was up one set against the No. 3 seed Mousheg Hovhannisyan. The two will finish their matches tomorrow.
“I thought John played a great match and was fortunate to get off the court before the rain,” head coach Brad Pearce said. “Francis [Sargeant] is playing great tennis against the No. 3 seed from Pepperdine and I’m excited to see him close out that match tomorrow.”
Pearce dominated his first match over Jakob Karnopp from San Diego, 6-0, 6-2.
In the qualifying singles round, freshman Scott Bohne lost to Concordia’s Christian Wickenhause, 6-2, 6-1. Junior Travis Fillmore played a long match but couldn’t seal the victory against Kona Luu from UCSD, 7-6, 1-6, 10-7.
Nikki Rae, the third freshman on the team, put up a good fight but fell to Andrew Carlisle from San Diego, 7-6, 7-5. Rae then played in the qualifying back draw and defeated Rajeev Herekar from UCSD, 6-3, 6-2.
None of the doubles matches were played due to the rain. Play will resume Friday at 10 a.m. PST.
The tournament can be followed by visiting USTA’s website.
Aaron Sorenson is the tennis sports information director at BYU.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 123
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 34
- Morning links: Utah running back's goal... 25
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 25
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 23
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21