TOOELE — A man who mistakenly thought police were following him because he had a warrant out for his arrest ended up being arrested after leading officers on a chase.
The incident began Thursday afternoon when a Tooele County sheriff's deputy attempted to pull over a driver for a routine traffic stop in the Stansbury Park area. The driver, however, ran a stop sign and a red light to get away, deputy Eric McCollum said.
Near the Lake Point area, deputies engaged their emergency lights. The man took off on I-80, hitting speeds of a little more than 90 mph, and exited in Magna. He ended up on a dead-end street, where he drove into a field, got out of his vehicle, jumped a fence and ran, McCollum said.
The man randomly ran up to a house near 8300 West and 2900 South, kicked in the front door and ran inside, police said. Fortunately, McCollum said, the residents were not home at the time.
After about a 20-minute standoff, officers yelled into the house that they were going to release a K-9. The man surrendered a short time later, McCollum said.
Ronald Scott Warr, 59, was arrested for investigation of numerous charges. He told deputies he ran because he thought he had a warrant out for his arrest.
Even though he didn't have a warrant, McCollum said detectives found heroin in his vehicle, as well as stolen property taken from a two-day vehicle burglary spree — including wallets, credit cards and purses — on Salt Lake City's east side about two weeks ago. Warr also admitted to using heroin that morning.
Court records show that Warr has an extensive criminal history.
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- Summer downpour causes flooding, slides...
- Utah leads the nation in deadly melanoma cases
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes into...
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention...
- Long road to trial begins Wednesday for...
- Project to restore Manti Tabernacle underway
- Investigation underway after man's body found...
- Federal land managers criticized over... 26
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 25
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 21
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes... 21
- Habitual offender arrested in alleged... 17
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 17
- Critics decry solar fee as 'sun' tax 13
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake... 12