TOOELE — A man who mistakenly thought police were following him because he had a warrant out for his arrest ended up being arrested after leading officers on a chase.
The incident began Thursday afternoon when a Tooele County sheriff's deputy attempted to pull over a driver for a routine traffic stop in the Stansbury Park area. The driver, however, ran a stop sign and a red light to get away, deputy Eric McCollum said.
Near the Lake Point area, deputies engaged their emergency lights. The man took off on I-80, hitting speeds of a little more than 90 mph, and exited in Magna. He ended up on a dead-end street, where he drove into a field, got out of his vehicle, jumped a fence and ran, McCollum said.
The man randomly ran up to a house near 8300 West and 2900 South, kicked in the front door and ran inside, police said. Fortunately, McCollum said, the residents were not home at the time.
After about a 20-minute standoff, officers yelled into the house that they were going to release a K-9. The man surrendered a short time later, McCollum said.
Ronald Scott Warr, 59, was arrested for investigation of numerous charges. He told deputies he ran because he thought he had a warrant out for his arrest.
Even though he didn't have a warrant, McCollum said detectives found heroin in his vehicle, as well as stolen property taken from a two-day vehicle burglary spree — including wallets, credit cards and purses — on Salt Lake City's east side about two weeks ago. Warr also admitted to using heroin that morning.
Court records show that Warr has an extensive criminal history.
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- Embattled doctor surrenders Utah medical license
- Dancing stars Julianne and Derek Hough visit...
- West Nile activity discovered in three Utah...
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout Utah
- Community rallies for Kamas family after...
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay... 80
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 19
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 18
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 18
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- Anti-porn rally aims at keeping... 14
- Ex A.G.s John Swallow, Mark Shurtleff... 14
- Union Pacific train makes special... 13