Trash talking at Jazz game leads to pepper spray confrontation
SALT LAKE CITY — It hasn't been easy being an L.A. Lakers fan so far this NBA season. But Salt Lake City police said one fan's apparent frustration crossed the line.
During Wednesday night's Utah Jazz game at EnergySolutions Arena against the Lakers, a man wearing a Lakers jersey got into an argument with another man, a Jazz fan. Initially, the Lakers fan and the Jazz fan were trash talking, according to Salt Lake City police. But their trash talking got heated.
That's when the Lakers fan challenged the Jazz fan to a fight, said officer Josh Ashdown. The Lakers fan was kicked out of the arena.
After the game, while standing on the corner of 100 South and 400 West, the Jazz fan and the Lakers fan ran into each other again. The Lakers fan was in the passenger seat of a vehicle.
Police said it appeared the man was waiting for the Jazz fan. A couple of witnesses, however, said the Jazz fan was the one who was being belligerent and taunting the Lakers fan.
Their disagreement culminated when the Lakers fan used pepper spray on the Jazz fan, Ashdown said, and sped away. The Jazz fan was treated and released at a local hospital.
The Lakers fan was described as a Hispanic male in his early 30s, about 5 feet 6 inches tall and 150 pounds, with medium length brown hair. He was last seen riding in a silver Dodge Caliber. Anyone with information can call police at 801-799-3000.
The Jazz won the game 95-86.
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please return...
- Fountain Green holds first Christmas light...
- Looming knee surgery inspired man to carve canes
- Baby's first Christmas comes with gift of hope
- Resting her case: Judge reflects on Cuban...
- Park City police nab pair suspected of...
- Christmas tradition: Judge visits jail to...
- Rally in support of police also draws counter...
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an... 130
- List of potential prison sites cut to... 44
- Poll: Nearly two-thirds of Utahns... 29
- Mia Love names KSL reporter to head... 18
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please... 18
- Police: Gunman said he shot at trooper... 13
- Utah family making renewed push for... 9
- Judge issues summons for 'Super Dell' 9