Given Utah State's proximity to Boise and the need to sell tickets, the Potato Bowl would probably take a long look at choosing the Aggies over Louisiana Tech, even if the No. 20 Bulldogs end up WAC champs. (There's also an outside chance that the Bulldogs could grab a BCS berth, but it's unlikely.)
Who would Utah State play? Bowl ties indicate it would be a team from the Mid-American Conference, where six teams are already bowl eligible. CBS predicts the 9-1 Northern Illinois Huskies would face the Aggies. So does Sports Illustrated.
But ESPN's analysts think Utah State will instead fill an at-large berth in a different bowl, similar to Utah. Mark Schlabach predicts the same matchup against Northern Illinois, but in the Little Caesars Pizza Bowl on Dec. 26. The Aggies would fill an empty Big Ten slot.
His colleague Brad Edwards says the Aggies will head to the Independence bowl in Shreveport, Louisiana, to face Louisiana-Monroe, as neither the SEC nor the ACC would be able to furnish bowl-eligible teams to fill the bowl's slots.
In any case, it's a solid bet that Utah State will go bowling somewhere for the second straight year and just the eighth time in the team's history.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: TheShums
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 105
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 97
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 79
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 64
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 50
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 48
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43